Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation screen on start up, every time!

Hello,

My sister's iPhone 5C recently began starting up with an "! Activation Required" message sometimes, after start up. The phone will start up with the multiple languages, "hello" message. After swiping right, I will enter in her 4 digit passcode, the "Update Completed" message appears. Tapping "continue", I see "it may take a few minutes to activate...", followed by the, "Activation Lock" screen. Here, I will enter her Apple ID and password (successfully). After that, I am at the main screen. Shut down the phone... the cycle repeats.

Shortly after writing the previous paragraph, I was able to update the phone to the latest available iOS.

Following a successful update to 10.3.3, I encountered a different screen, "Apple ID Security" which encouraged two-factor authentication (I skipped this), I entered my own verification text message number, entered the verification code that I received and entered the home screen. Moments later, the "Activation Required" message popped up with only a "Dismiss" option!

User uploaded file

What? Not this AGAIN!

Repeat all the above steps... The bigger difference now (on 10.3.3) is that almost immediately after entering all the credentials and getting to the home screen, this iPhone now pops up the, "Activation Required" screen! Prior to the iOS update, the phone would continue to function until a power cycle.

How do I fix this?

Every web page that I found, assumes that the phone was either stolen or improperly deactivated multi-owner phone. The phone in question has been my sister's phone since I purchased it *new* for her, many years ago!

It is also extremely unlikely that she changed a setting because she is special needs and just uses the phone for its basic functions.

Please help. I am going in circles!

Note: I am in a rural community so there is no Apple Store nearby. 😟

Thank you

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 10.3.3, 128GB

Posted on Jul 15, 2018 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2018 5:09 PM

Erase your device with recovery mode

1. Connect your iOS device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
  2. While your device is connected, force restart it:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
  3. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore. User uploaded file
    iTunes will download software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.
  4. Wait for the process to finish. Then you can set up and use your device.

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2018 5:09 PM in response to sdc01

Erase your device with recovery mode

1. Connect your iOS device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
  2. While your device is connected, force restart it:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
  3. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore. User uploaded file
    iTunes will download software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.
  4. Wait for the process to finish. Then you can set up and use your device.

Jul 15, 2018 4:57 PM in response to sdc01

I know I am no further ahead with this problem but now the phone is displaying "it may take a few minutes to activate your phone"... a long time now (more than 5 minutes). I will leave it for a little bit longer.

User uploaded file

It took about 4 tries before the "Activation Required" appears (AGAIN)... one more time... but once I log in and get to the home screen, it takes less than 4 seconds for the "Activation Required" pop-up to re-appear!

Jul 15, 2018 4:51 PM in response to sdc01

Network Settings are also the setting downloaded by the carrier which could be incorrect and causing the issue.

Also a heads up you may need to do a full restore when you contact Apple Support, so make sure you have a backup.

Jul 15, 2018 10:04 PM in response to Community User

Thank you to everyone!

Erase with recovery was ultimately the solution, but I really appreciated everyone's help. The phone is working perfectly again (as well as the carrier signal).

I was also thankful for TouchCopy16 for making it easy to pull messages from the phone and save them in HTML format with styles and media intact. She had 2 GB of messages that needed to be backed up and removed.

Jul 15, 2018 4:11 PM in response to sdc01

I start with a 'Reset Network Settings', but this well remove Wi-Fi passwords.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Activation screen on start up, every time!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.