Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos 3: Portrait mode vertical photos rotation bug

MacOS 10.13.6

Photos 3.0

MBP 2.6GHz Intel Ci7 16GB/1TB

Hello,

I'm taking Portrait mode photos with an iPhone X. I notice that if I have a vertically oriented Portrait mode photo, it displays fine in Moments view.

User uploaded file

But if I double-click a vertical Portrait mode photo to view it, the vertical photo displays, along with a smaller horizontal version superimposed on top. This appears to be happening on all photos in my Library.

User uploaded file

Has anyone seen this before?

- Adam

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Jul 16, 2018 12:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2018 11:20 AM

I ended up creating a Smart Album, selecting only Portrait Mode photos. (There was no option to also select portrait/vertical oriented photos, that would have saved time.) That limited my selection to only a few thousand photos. I rotated those 4 times, and waited for the progress circle to complete. I quit Photos, relaunched. All photos are now displaying correctly without this problem.

Thank you for your help.

- Adam

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2018 11:20 AM in response to léonie

I ended up creating a Smart Album, selecting only Portrait Mode photos. (There was no option to also select portrait/vertical oriented photos, that would have saved time.) That limited my selection to only a few thousand photos. I rotated those 4 times, and waited for the progress circle to complete. I quit Photos, relaunched. All photos are now displaying correctly without this problem.

Thank you for your help.

- Adam

Jul 16, 2018 12:43 AM in response to Adam Masri

Did this start with the macOS 10.13.6 update? Or what else has changed? Only for new photos or also folder photos?

Have you tried, if the issue persists, when you restart your Mac in Save mode to clear caches and disable advanced features of the graphics card? The Mac will be very slow in this mode, but third party system additions will be disabled: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 16, 2018 2:18 AM in response to Adam Masri

It is disconcerting, that the problem persists in Safe mode. This could indicate hardware trouble.

Is your Photos library on your internal system drive or on an external drive?

And have you tested in a different user account, for example the Guest user account to check if the problem is system wide? Isolating an issue by using another user account

Are you using iCloud Photo Library and are syncing with other devices with different system versions?

Is the artifact visible, if you export the unmodified original of a portrait mode photo (File > Export > Export unmodified original) and import it to a new Photos library ?

Jul 16, 2018 12:36 AM in response to Adam Masri

I've installed all updates. I tried rebuilding the Photos library (Command-Option on Photos launch). If I use the rotate 90 degrees button 4 times, the problem persists. If I edit a photo & rotate 4 times, I think the problem is resolved. But it's not practical to go through hundreds (thousands?) of Portrait mode photos to fix them this way.

Jul 16, 2018 1:43 AM in response to léonie

Yes, I just upgraded this machine from MacOS X 10.12 to 10.13. This bug just began with the High Sierra update. I'm not sure what you mean by "folder" photos. If you mean "older" photos, the earliest Portrait photos I have are from Dec 2017 & those show the bug as well.

I tried rebooting in Safe mode, holding the Shift key not only through the reboot process, but continuing to hold it down after logging into my account to make sure no apps would auto boot. Yes, everything runs very slowly in Safe mode! The bug persists in Photos in Safe mode as well.

- Adam

Jul 16, 2018 2:03 AM in response to Adam Masri

One other note about Safe mode. Since everything runs so slowly in Safe mode, I could actually see what's happening. It looks like Photos struggles to figure out what to do, with vertical Portrait mode images flashing between horizontal & vertical orientation several times before redrawing with the vertical image behind & the smaller horizontal image in the foreground. Different images have this redrawing happen differently, but the result is the same, looking like the above image.

Jul 16, 2018 3:46 AM in response to léonie

Photos library is on internal 1TB SSD. 31GB available.

I do not use iCloud Photo Library, only My Photo Stream & iCloud Photo Sharing in System Preferences: iCloud: Photos: Options.

If I export the unmodified original, Photos tosses the Portrait mode data & I wind up with an image with no bokeh/depth of field as if I had taken the photo with no Portrait mode. If instead I simply do File: Export: Export 1 Photo, I retain Portrait mode data. The photo exports horizontally oriented, even though I know I took this Portrait mode photo with my iPhone X vertically oriented.

I setup a new User account to test Photos. I brought over my one photo, imported it into Photos in the new test account. I rotated the photo so it was vertically oriented. The photo displays correctly, even across quitting & restarting Photos.

In my main account, I tried hitting the rotate button. On the first press, the image looks stretched. It takes a moment, then the image rotates to a different angle & looks proportionally correct. Hitting the rotate button until the image is "right side up" leaves it looking fine. Choosing a different image, then going back to the one I rotated, the Portrait mode vertical oriented image now looks fine. So I guess I don't need to go into Edit mode to do this. I suppose I could create a script to go through every vertical Portrait mode photo and rotate it 4 times, this just seems like a bug Apple should fix.

For these reasons I seriously doubt this is a hardware problem. This strikes me as a bug in Photos. I'm not having trouble opening other applications, Safari, Mail, Calendar, etc.

My iPad 5 Retina Display is running iOS 11.2.1. My iPhone X is running iOS 11.2.6. So all fairly current versions of OSes.

- Adam

Jul 16, 2018 7:25 AM in response to Adam Masri

So I guess I don't need to go into Edit mode to do this. I suppose I could create a script to go through every vertical Portrait mode photo and rotate it 4 times, this just seems like a bug Apple should fix.

You should be able to select all Portrait mode photos at once by holding down the ⌘ key and clicking each thumbnail of a photo in portrait orientation and then use the key combination ⌘R to rotate the photos all at once..

Photos 3: Portrait mode vertical photos rotation bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.