Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Preferences only shows signature?

My MacBook mail is messed up (most goes to trash).

Clicking Preferences brings up Signature Box with

no option to input anything? Help

Posted on Jul 16, 2018 2:38 PM

2 replies

Jul 17, 2018 4:38 PM in response to OlafTN

Hey Olaf!

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that you're unable to access your email, as most get sent directly to Trash in the Mail app on your MacBook Pro. Further, if you attempt to get into the Mail Preferences, it will only open to the Signature tab, and won't let you change to any other options. I'm happy to help!

First, to address the issue with Mail Preferences, I suggest the following:
  1. Quit the Mail app: macOS Sierra: Quit apps, then restart your Mac: How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support. Once you've done that, hold the shift key on your keyboard while reopening Mail. Check to see if the Mail Preferences pane will open. If not,
  2. Boot to safe mode, and see if you can access Mail Preferences there: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support. If the issue continues,
  3. Create a new user account on your Mac, log into your email account, and see if you can access the Mail Preferences: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support.
Once you've got the Mail Preferences able to switch to other tabs, check the Rules to see if you have anything set to automatically go to Trash: Use rules to manage your email inbox in Mail on Mac - Apple Support .

Have a good day!

Jul 17, 2018 6:21 PM in response to OlafTN

OlafTN wrote:

My MacBook mail is messed up (most goes to trash).

Clicking Preferences brings up Signature Box with

no option to input anything? Help

You do not say what macOS you are running. I would try re-installing the combo update on top of your exisiting macOS.

For example if you are running High Sierra: Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update

Mail Preferences only shows signature?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.