Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

11.4.1 Upgrade caused WiFi issues on iPad

Upgraded to iOS 11.4.1 on my iPad yesterday and now WiFi drops out after about 30 seconds. I have to reconnect and then it drops out again in another 30 seconds and on it goes repeating the process every 30 seconds. Have followed all Apple tips about resetting network and router to no avail.

iPad Air 2 WiFi, Cellular, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Jul 23, 2018 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2018 9:59 PM

I don't think y'all understand the situation. Give us some credit guys. We've done everything by the book including what you just put up. It just solves nothing. Our Wi-Fi is still not working and my Bluetooth too isn't working.

Solution? Apple should just fix this bug with an update or allow for downgrading since that's our only best option and they've ignored it like nobody's business

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2018 9:59 PM in response to chris_g1

I don't think y'all understand the situation. Give us some credit guys. We've done everything by the book including what you just put up. It just solves nothing. Our Wi-Fi is still not working and my Bluetooth too isn't working.

Solution? Apple should just fix this bug with an update or allow for downgrading since that's our only best option and they've ignored it like nobody's business

Jul 23, 2018 6:55 PM in response to Wuffx13

Hello Wuffx13,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities and asking for help with your iPad losing the wireless connection. I am happy to assist with this.

Please verify you have tried everything from this help article: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network

If you have, and since you just upgraded the iOS, I recommend the next step is to reinstall the iOS using iTunes. The reason we need to use iTunes is to get a fresh copy of the iOS. Please make a backup of your data prior to doing this step: You can make a backup in iCloud or iTunes using this article: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Once your data is backed up, you can reinstall the iOS using this help article: If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Please pay close attention when you reach step 4 which says:

When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.

Once your iOS is reinstalled, test if the issue is still occurring. Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.

Jul 24, 2018 5:05 PM in response to Wuffx13

Hello Wuffx13,

Thanks for trying our steps and continuing our troubleshooting here in the Apple Support Communities. Since reinstalling the iOS has not solved the issue, the next step is to restore the iPad to factory settings, and testing without any personal data on the device. The first thing we want to ensure is that all your data is safe. You can make a backup in iCloud or iTunes using this article: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Once you have a backup, you will need restore your device back to factory settings using iTunes. This option will erase all the data on your device. Again, please ensure you have your backup completed prior to doing this step. The reason we need to use iTunes to do this step is because we need iTunes to help install a fresh version of iOS. This help article will help you to do this step: Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings - Apple support

Once this is completed, set the device up as new, and do not restore any information from an iCloud or iTunes backup yet. This step will isolate the issue and let us know if it is related to the hardware or not. Once the device is set up as new, you will test to see if the device still has trouble connecting to Wi-Fi. If the issues is no longer happening, we know the issue was with some data on the device or in the iOS version, which will most likely be saved in your backups. You can manually bring data back using iCloud or iTunes, but do not restore from the backup as you can bring the problem right back in. Once you log back in to iCloud with the same Apple ID that you used previously, all your data saved in iCloud will start repopulating on the device. With iOS 11, you are using the new iTunes, this article will provide the options to get your data synced back to your devices:

Changes in the new iTunes - Apple Support

You can also redownload fresh copies all of your previous purchases using this article: Download your past purchases - Apple Support

Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.

Jul 26, 2018 11:46 AM in response to Wuffx13

Hello Wuffx13,

Thanks for trying our steps. At this point, I recommend contacting AppleCare for further assistance. Please let them know what you have already tried, including restoring the device back to factory and testing with the iPad set up new, without any personal data.

Please use this link to contact AppleCare: Apple - Contact Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Sep 10, 2018 9:27 AM in response to ChrisC_UK2018

I'm also an iTunes user (running on Windows 7). It has a problem of its own like you said. I used to have a variety of problems with iTunes after upgrading it to newer versions. iTunes becomes extremely slow (it takes 5 minutes to get into the interface), can't detect my iPad Air or iTunes can detect the device but can't sync it and many other problems.

A few years ago, I stopped updating iTunes without uninstalling the current version first. I use the following article to uninstall iTunes in the correct order:

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later - Apple Support

I just upgraded to the latest iTunes recently and it works flawlessly. It takes a couple of seconds to get to the interface and there is no problem with sync, backup etc. Read that article thoroughly and follow the direction step by step. Don't miss a step. You should be able to update it successfully.

Jul 25, 2018 4:55 AM in response to Wuffx13

Thanks

I have now erased all the data on iPad and reinstalled ios as stated above.

This has made no difference. WiFi continues to log out every 3-5 minutes. Have to reconnect.

what now? Can I reload all my data from iCloud or do I need to do something else. I guess this confirms the fault is with the upgrade to 11.4.1 as my iPhone and mini iPad which have not been upgraded are working fine.

Aug 16, 2018 5:17 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Apple Support - You clearly don't get it. The 11.4.1 update is flawed; we cannot stay connected to the internet now. Please issue a patch to fix the problem immediately. This issue is clearly having a serious impact on your users so give it priority. Personally, I was thinking of getting a new iPhone and iPad but this experience is making me reconsider. I have been a loyal Apple product user for many years but now .... 😠

Aug 22, 2018 1:25 PM in response to chris_g1

Thanks for the reply and suggestion chris_g1.
I have tried this also with my iPad but I am still facing this wifi issue in new IOS 11.4.1
Can you please tell us when Apple is going to release new IOS software for iPad and iPhone.
I am ending up with IOS 12 beta 9 developer version. But we have many customer for my company, and i can not able to give them IOS 12 because it is limited for developer version. They operate iPad for their daily operation and spend most of their time on iPad. Because of this issue, they had many problem and every-time they have to check internet connection and get frustrated with this issue.
Please give us a proper guideline how can we solve this IOS 11.4.1 wifi issue.

Regards,

Rapid RMS

Sep 10, 2018 6:50 AM in response to balajih67

I'm sorry you've been caught up in this. I was about to buy my first iPhone after enjoying using iPods and iPads over the years but this recent problem has deterred me. I am waiting for ios 12 to be publicly released and hoping that would resolve things, but my concern is how are we going to update from 11.4.1 to 12? Will the connection to the internet stay intact long enough for the download? If not what do we do then?

Sep 10, 2018 9:00 AM in response to ChrisC_UK2018

ChrisC_UK2018 wrote:

my concern is how are we going to update from 11.4.1 to 12? Will the connection to the internet stay intact long enough for the download? If not what do we do then?

Connect it to a computer with the latest iTunes. Let your computer detect and download the update package. I've been updating iOS that way. I've updated from iOS 9 to 10 and now 11 with iTunes help without any problem.

Sep 10, 2018 9:10 AM in response to ShagCA

Thanks. I just hope that iTunes has now allowed my laptop to update it successfully; it has failed to install a few times. I'll check it now. Ironically it was problems with Windows that made me get a iPad in the first place, and I was even toying with getting a Mac recently - but not now ....

I'll go and check to see if iTunes has updated okay now.

Thanks again for your help.

11.4.1 Upgrade caused WiFi issues on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.