Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a maximum number of devices yhat can be registered for WiFi calling?

i have multiple Apple products (iPhone, 2 tablets, laptop, desktop, and Apple Watch. I have iPhone, tablets, and laptop set up for WiFi calling. When I attempt to set it up on watch or desktop I can a notice that I have registered the maximum number of devices. When a new build comes out, I usually do it as a new install. Could this be creating duplicate devices registered? How do I “deregister” a device. I am with ATT

iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Jul 25, 2018 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2018 6:18 AM

You can deregister a device by simply turning off the Wi-Fi calling setting in Settings/Cellular. If there is a limit that is an AT&T limit; call their customer support. Apple has a limit of 5 computers and 10 devices on one iTunes account, but there are no other Apple limits. And it has nothing to do with Wi-Fi calling.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2018 6:18 AM in response to mjdindc

You can deregister a device by simply turning off the Wi-Fi calling setting in Settings/Cellular. If there is a limit that is an AT&T limit; call their customer support. Apple has a limit of 5 computers and 10 devices on one iTunes account, but there are no other Apple limits. And it has nothing to do with Wi-Fi calling.

Aug 22, 2018 9:07 AM in response to mjdindc

I contacted ATT and it appears its a "joint" issue. ATT told me there is a hard limit of 5 devices that can set up for WiFi calling (this is not the same as calling on the device when the iPhone is nearby). ATT has no way to reset the number even though it's their hard limit, the reset must be done on the Apple device side. It appears that if you do not completely "deregister" a device (ie WiFi calling stops working because of an update), it still counts to the hard limit of 5. The only work around I found was to deregister all devices on the iPhone, turn off wifi calling on all other devices, reboot and wait about 30 minutes for everything to sync up and then register the devices you want to use wifi calling on.

Oct 14, 2018 6:41 AM in response to mjdindc

How do you “deregister” a device? I’ve signed out of my FaceTime account on each of the devices and logged back in. When I look at the list of devices on my AT&T account it shows all past devices that I don’t own anymore and logged out of iCloud before I disposed of them. I keep getting the error that I have the maximum number of devices registered and then when I try to use it now Numbersync won’t work away from WiFi, which also impacts my Apple Watch utilization. I already spent an hour with AT&T support and didn’t get it resolved.

Oct 14, 2018 7:21 AM in response to KevoFL

Lawrence covered how to "deregister" a device above. Go to "settings", "cellular", "wi-fi calling" and turn of "Add wi-fi calling for other devices". I went in to"settings", "cellular", "calls on other devices" and turned it off for every device. I then waited about 30 minutes to make sure that everything had synced.

Nov 2, 2018 5:56 AM in response to jcct11

Was anyone able to resolve the issue? I have the same thing and AT&T was unable to resolve the same. I had a previous watch which I had to unpair multiple times, which may have caused the issue. In my Wifi emergency address section, the numbersync addresses had 5 devices for me including 3 entries for apple watch. After an one hour call to AT&T this is no longer shown, but still wifi calling is not turning on with the same message of maximum device limit reached.

Nov 22, 2018 12:26 PM in response to topuji

I'm also having this same issue. I turned off calls on other devices for each device and turned off wifi calling and waited 16 hours. I called AT&T and spoke with them for an hour but to my knowledge they didn't do anything, she only talked about bluetooth pairing, which has nothing to do with this 😠

I turned wifi calling and calls on other devices back on and after setting up one device I get the notice that I've reached the limit! So it's giving me a limit of 1....wow!

Also under the AT&T NumberSync emergency address screen I see every device I've ever owned listed but no way to remove them, and AT&T didn't know what I was referring to when I told them about that either. In the Calls on Other Devices menu in my iPhone I also see multiple entries for the same iMac -- even though it's only listed once in my iCloud settings and on my Apple ID account associated devices page.

This is really frustrating!

Nov 22, 2018 1:01 PM in response to tonman87

AT&T was able to reset the wifi calling .. so that I was unable to see other "ghost" apple watches in my numbersync .. but the problem stil persisted. However, after a few days it automatically corrected itself after the latest watchOS update. Though it reoccurs sometime when I restart my phone but most of the time it is ok now.

Is there a maximum number of devices yhat can be registered for WiFi calling?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.