Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open Unix Executable file

I'm actually writing with a solution to How to Open a Unix Executable file. The last thing I saw on an Apple Forum was from 2014 and it didn't work for me.

I've got a lot of old MS Word docs from my 2000 iMac that only show up as Unix executable styles.

I figured out that you can open them by opening TextEdit, then from the File dropdown menu select Open. Select the Unix executable file and it will open. Then you can cut and paste into Pages or whichever word processing software you use.

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Jul 27, 2018 12:31 PM

6 replies

Jul 27, 2018 1:34 PM in response to CSBlackburn

You may have .rtf, .xml (Word XML format), and .doc Word files in that old document mix.

Apple's applications that open Word documents (Preview, Pages (any version), TextEdit) have a notion of “shelf life,” and if a Microsoft document is too old, you will get a warning dialog:

• The file format is too old
  • The document was created by an unsupported version of Word
  • Etc.

If I had doubts about the file, I would open it in LibreOffice v6.0.5+ and then save as to a newly named .docx format:

User uploaded file

Jul 27, 2018 1:04 PM in response to CSBlackburn

Hi,

Old MS Word files are not Unix executables, they just miss their extension.

Try edit the name of your file and add at its end one of these extensions: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/file-formats-for-saving-documents-88de3 863-c9e5-4f89-be60-906f9065e43c

Most probably: .doc

And see if some application is able now to open it. If you have MS Word it will do it (I hope...) Otherwise you can try LibreOffice.

Regards.

How to open Unix Executable file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.