Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

phishing ??

Hi,

I’m using iPad Pro 12.9, 11.4.0.

I use outlook software app for my email.

Last week I received an official looking email stating I requested a password reset for my iCloud account.

I did not request it, nor had I signed into my iCloud account for a long time. I ignored and deleted the email.

This morning I received two of the same emails, within two minutes of each other saying again I requested the password reset, of course I had not requested it.

All emails had links in it to the iforgot.apple.com address. I have never clicked on it of course.

What was different today is that when the email came the dialouge box popped up for my settings menu to update my “Apple ID settings.”

So I’ve checked the site here to see if anyone else is reporting this type of phishing, but I do not see that. When I signed into my icloud account it says it had been locked for my security and I had to go through my verification questions to get into the account. And when I did it showed my normal caligirl username.

My question is, how do I know if this is phishing, and most importantly why was my iPad able to pop up a dialouge box asking me to update my “Apple ID settings” in my general setting when the emails arrived. I still has the red notification in my general settings. But do not want to update anything until I know for sure what exactly is going on.

On one hand it seemed fishy, but then in the other hand it seemed like it might be ok.

iPad Air

Posted on Jul 29, 2018 5:59 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 29, 2018 6:08 AM in response to CaliGirl2016

Here's how you can tell if it is phishing. In a message Apple will always address you by your real name, never by your email address or Dear Customer. Also the sent-from address should be @apple.com or @itunes.com Additionally Apple does not send attachments.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Forward it to reportphishing@apple.com

phishing ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.