Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won’t my AirPods pause when I take one out?

Resentlay my airpods have not been pausing when I take one or both out.

Posted on Jul 31, 2018 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2018 11:29 PM

Hi Lily,

Thanks for following up and confirming the provided suggestion didn't help to resolve the behavior of your AirPods not pausing when you remove them from your ear.

Have you had a chance to forget the Bluetooth pairing between your AirPods and your device, set them up again, and then test the behavior? You can see how to forget the Bluetooth pairing from the following guide: Pair a third-party Bluetooth accessory with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Unpair a Bluetooth accessory

To unpair a Bluetooth accessory, tap Settings > Bluetooth, find the device you want to unpair, and tap User uploaded file , then Forget this Device.

When you Forget this Device on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, that accessory is removed from the list of available Bluetooth devices. To add the Bluetooth accessory to your device again, place it back in discovery mode and repeat the steps above to pair it again.

If the issue remains, does the behavior persist with other iOS devices you pair the AirPods with?

Kind regards.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2018 11:29 PM in response to lilyfromeverett

Hi Lily,

Thanks for following up and confirming the provided suggestion didn't help to resolve the behavior of your AirPods not pausing when you remove them from your ear.

Have you had a chance to forget the Bluetooth pairing between your AirPods and your device, set them up again, and then test the behavior? You can see how to forget the Bluetooth pairing from the following guide: Pair a third-party Bluetooth accessory with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Unpair a Bluetooth accessory

To unpair a Bluetooth accessory, tap Settings > Bluetooth, find the device you want to unpair, and tap User uploaded file , then Forget this Device.

When you Forget this Device on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, that accessory is removed from the list of available Bluetooth devices. To add the Bluetooth accessory to your device again, place it back in discovery mode and repeat the steps above to pair it again.

If the issue remains, does the behavior persist with other iOS devices you pair the AirPods with?

Kind regards.

Aug 1, 2018 12:39 PM in response to lilyfromeverett

Greetings lilyfromeverett,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand your AirPods aren't pausing when you take them out of your ears as expected.

The following support article provides helpful information for using AirPods: Learn more about your AirPods with charging case

Specifically, let's have you ensure Automatic Ear Detection is enabled:

Turn Automatic Ear Detection on or off

By default, AirPods sense when they're in your ear and receive the audio from your device. AirPods also pause and resume playback when you remove one of your AirPods, or stop playback—and won't resume—when you remove both. When you have Automatic Ear Detection on and you're not wearing your AirPods, audio plays through your device's speakers.

When you turn off Automatic Ear Detection, these features are off and all audio plays to your AirPods whether or not you're wearing them.

Let me know how the provided suggestion works for you.

Kind regards.

Why won’t my AirPods pause when I take one out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.