Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm so confused about virus and malware on Macs

A while back my Mac got corrupted. I didn't know what to do and I contacted a company. They logged into my computer and fixed the problem at a cost I felt was excessive. But I was desperate and they fixed it. They told me I needed a program called Advance Mac Cleaner and Mac Adware Cleaner. So I bought it and everything was fine until Advance Mac Cleaner changed to Mac Auto Fixer. Then I started to do a little research about Mac Auto Fixer. I have since uninstalled this program but still have the Adware Cleaner. So my question who can I trust? Do I need these programs on my computer? I've seen a lot of info in the apple communities stating I don't need this. But then why did my computer become corrupt (it's used by several users meaning my children.) Is there a book or something I can read. Apple support communities are great but you can send hours or days reading over all the data to find your answer. Any one have any suggested.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 7, 2018 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2018 7:25 AM

Those companies were lying to you. You do not need anything unless there is a specific problem, in which case there's usually free or low cost software to address a specific issue. Get rid of any cleaning or virus scanning software. It may be hard to do this because often those thing are almost malware unto themselves.

If your children are using your computer you need to set up separate accounts for them with restricted access to features such as installing software. They are probably not old enough to realize there are many scam web sites out there and they will believe it when they are told their computer has a virus and they need to download something.

Have a look at:

Malwarebytes - https://www.malwarebytes.com/pricing/ - There are different versions available depending upon what features you want. For a single removal without ongoing monitoring you can probably use the free version (make sure you select this version as most companies will understandably try to guide you to pay versions of things).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2018 7:25 AM in response to Feetiesiz

Those companies were lying to you. You do not need anything unless there is a specific problem, in which case there's usually free or low cost software to address a specific issue. Get rid of any cleaning or virus scanning software. It may be hard to do this because often those thing are almost malware unto themselves.

If your children are using your computer you need to set up separate accounts for them with restricted access to features such as installing software. They are probably not old enough to realize there are many scam web sites out there and they will believe it when they are told their computer has a virus and they need to download something.

Have a look at:

Malwarebytes - https://www.malwarebytes.com/pricing/ - There are different versions available depending upon what features you want. For a single removal without ongoing monitoring you can probably use the free version (make sure you select this version as most companies will understandably try to guide you to pay versions of things).

Aug 7, 2018 7:22 AM in response to Feetiesiz

You do not need those programs and the company you contacted scammed you. While there are no viruses that affect a Mac if you're not careful you can get adware/malware. Mac OS has it's own protections against malware, including needing to authenticate to install programs. But sometimes the malware will hide inside applications you do want and you won't know it's there until you've installed it.

The most effective defense against malware is Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac. There is a free version you can download.

For a more in-depth explanation see:

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

I'm so confused about virus and malware on Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.