Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF in body of email changes to text after email sent

iMac 21.5 inch Late 2015, mac OS High Sierra, 10.13.6

Document in pages, export to PDF, shows on desk top as PDF. Drag to body of email, stays as open document. Control click on document, chose view as icon on drop down menu. Changes to PDF icon. Send. Check sent folder, shows as open document. email is received as open document. To verify, sent from my mac.com & iCloud.com email to my gmail. Received as open document. Have noticed when dragging to email that some showed icon & others were open documents. Don't remember if this was before High Sierra.

Last week opened a small window about iCloud that kept appearing everyday. Without thinking (know better) I clicked on it. Was abt iCloud & can't remember what was about, but to close stated to click on

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Posted on Aug 12, 2018 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2018 1:26 PM

An attached, single-page PDF will appear as View in Place in Apple Mail, and when sent, will be received in Apple Mail as View in Place. Multi-page PDF will attach as icon in Apple Mail, and upon receipt by Apple Mail will be received as an icon.

Mail with attachments received by Apple Mail, but sent by a non-Apple Mail client from another machine, may still behave as in the first paragraph, or be received differently.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2018 1:26 PM in response to jamicabay

An attached, single-page PDF will appear as View in Place in Apple Mail, and when sent, will be received in Apple Mail as View in Place. Multi-page PDF will attach as icon in Apple Mail, and upon receipt by Apple Mail will be received as an icon.

Mail with attachments received by Apple Mail, but sent by a non-Apple Mail client from another machine, may still behave as in the first paragraph, or be received differently.

Aug 17, 2018 12:59 PM in response to jamicabay

The normal behavior of High Sierra Mail is to receive single-page PDF as an image, and multi-page PDF as icons. This is how they are attached in Apple Mail before they are sent too. The received attachment view won't change, even if you switch the status of that View in Place, single-page PDF to View as Icon. Same drill for images too.

As long as Apple Mail is the receiving Mail agent, regardless of whether the email travels through iCloud, or Google, the result will be the first paragraph. Non-Apple Mail agents mail present these attachments as icons, though you have no control over that behavior when you attach or send from Apple Mail.

Aug 17, 2018 1:20 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for your help! Am I understanding this correctly? --emails I send with one PDF document won't go as icon but as open text? But if send multi page PDF will go as icon? As a test, I sent a folder with 5 PDF documents, dragged to body of email, showed as PDF icon & was sent & received as icon. Any email I receive, sent to me as icon, shows PDF as icon, which I drag to desktop & open. No problem exporting pages docs to RTF, they go as icon.

PDF in body of email changes to text after email sent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.