Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods constant disconnect, connect, disconnect, connect...

Hello,

Please help me understand the issue I'm experiencing with my AirPods and iMac. Both my AirPods and iMac are less than 6 months old. The AirPods have been paired with my iMac numerous times to try and fix my issue. I have turned off all bluetooth devices in my office, as well as placed my Apple Watch and iPhone X in airplane mode. Yet, the problem still persists. What's happening is the connection to my iMac is constantly disconnecting, and connecting. For example, I'll sit in front of my iMac with the AirPods in, and approximately every 20-60 seconds I'll hear the connect, disconnect tune. I've even verified it by having the bluetooth connections window open, and visually see the connection drop and re connect, over and over. I've searched videos on YouTube, and saw some guy talking about the Bluetooth explorer utility showing connection strength issues. His resolution was a Genius Bar apt and eventually he received "new" AirPods.

So, what's going on here? I don't experience this issue with other bluetooth headphones, so I'm reluctant to think it my iMac software, which is running the latest OSX as of August 2018. Is this perhaps some sort of battery saving attempt built into the AirPods? As if, there's no sound transmitting they turn off and on with a mind of their own?

Thank you for any direction and tips.

-Paul

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 10:16 AM

I suggest trying the following:

1) Put the left and right AirPods in their case and close the lid. Move the case near your iPhone and open the case. Verify that after a few seconds a dialog window opens on your iPhone and shows the case and the AirPods with their charge percentages. Are all devices properly charged? If one of more of the AirPods shows a low charge then visually inspect the bottom of each AirPod for signs of contamination. Also shine a light down inside the case where each AirPod sits and see if there is any lint or other contamination that might prevent the AirPods from making contact.

2) You can try resetting the AirPods back to their default settings by putting both AirPods in the case, then with the lid open, press the round, nearly invisible button on the back of the case above the Lightning Port and watch the LED. After what seems like 20 or so seconds you'll see the case LED flash amber a few times then resume flashing white. At this point you can treat them like a new pair of AirPods and try pairing them to your iPhone again.

If you continue to have problems with them you might want to contact Apple for support or take them in to a service provider, especially if they are still under warranty.

I did some looking around and found that most people seem to be posting their AirPods questions in the iPhone Accessories community. You might want to look there to see if other users have additional suggestions.

iPhone Accessories

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2018 10:16 AM in response to SDGPaul

I suggest trying the following:

1) Put the left and right AirPods in their case and close the lid. Move the case near your iPhone and open the case. Verify that after a few seconds a dialog window opens on your iPhone and shows the case and the AirPods with their charge percentages. Are all devices properly charged? If one of more of the AirPods shows a low charge then visually inspect the bottom of each AirPod for signs of contamination. Also shine a light down inside the case where each AirPod sits and see if there is any lint or other contamination that might prevent the AirPods from making contact.

2) You can try resetting the AirPods back to their default settings by putting both AirPods in the case, then with the lid open, press the round, nearly invisible button on the back of the case above the Lightning Port and watch the LED. After what seems like 20 or so seconds you'll see the case LED flash amber a few times then resume flashing white. At this point you can treat them like a new pair of AirPods and try pairing them to your iPhone again.

If you continue to have problems with them you might want to contact Apple for support or take them in to a service provider, especially if they are still under warranty.

I did some looking around and found that most people seem to be posting their AirPods questions in the iPhone Accessories community. You might want to look there to see if other users have additional suggestions.

iPhone Accessories

AirPods constant disconnect, connect, disconnect, connect...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.