Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple scores record 72 Emmy Award nominations and sweeps across top categories. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I recover the ESPN app on Apple TV

THE ESPN APP ON MY APPLE TV DISAPPEARED WHILE WE WEEE WATCHIBG A PROGRAM. HOW DONI RECOVER IT?

Posted on Aug 18, 2018 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2018 3:57 PM

I do not know how to find “ firmware”. I do not know what “ firmware” is. I believe I have the first generation of Apple TV. I removed and restored my Apple TV system. The ESPN app did not return. I have a job # from Apple. What’s your solution?

8 replies

Aug 18, 2018 5:23 PM in response to Mister880

The firmware is the version of software currently running on Apple TV

If you really had the 1st Gen, big aluminum box, then it never had any 3rd party content apart from YouTube (which google dropped when it updated its API).

If it's a small black box then that's the 2nd Gen. That had access to preset 3rd party content sent via server, but no apps. If it was something that you had access to before make sure it hasn't been hidden by going into settings - general - main menu. Providers have also focused their efforts in the current Apple TV's (4th Gen and 4K) which do run apps so you may need to contact them to see if they still support the older model.

Aug 19, 2018 3:45 PM in response to Mister880

You can use airplay from your iPhone/iPad, but if you want native apps that's always required a 4th gen or 4K model. Support has also dropped from some of those older server based versions as providers focus on those apps.

The 2nd gen is also considered obsolete, with that last update being around 4 years ago and no further support for software or hardware.

How can I recover the ESPN app on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.