Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad USB charging on Windows 10 computer

iPad won't charge on Windows 10 laptop or desktop where it used to do so

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, Windows 10, USB Charging

Posted on Aug 20, 2018 8:40 AM

3 replies

Aug 21, 2018 11:31 AM in response to MBP 2012

Hello MBP 2012,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you have an issue with your iPad not charging on your Windows computer. I would suggest checking to see if it will charge from a wall outlet or a different computer. The following support article provides this and other suggestions for troubleshooting charging issues with your iPad.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't charge

Best regards.

Aug 21, 2018 2:46 PM in response to MBP 2012

MBP 2012,

Thanks for this information.

I would take a look at this support article: If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

It might be possible that the Windows computers are not correctly recognizing and identifying your iPad and not providing enough power to charge the iPad.

If the issue persists, contact Apple Support as suggested at the bottom of that article.

Best regards.

Aug 21, 2018 11:42 AM in response to raina_b22

Thanks for the reference, Becky. The iPad charges just fine when the USB cable is plugged into my awake Macbook Pro. And it charges just fine when plugged into the Apple official wall charger using the same USB cable. The green charging battery symbol on the iPad doesn't turn green indicating it is charging when the USB cable is plugged into a Windows 10 desktop (old computer) nor does it turn green when plugged into a Windows 10 laptop (6 months old). Both are running the latest updates to Windows 10 and the iPad battery symbol used to turn green when it was connected to either of the Windows machines. Having said all that, after unplugging it from the Windows desktop and checking the battery status, I think some charging was accomplished, but I am not sure as I didn't take note of the percentage of charge before I plugged it in. May just be a green vs. not green issue with the battery symbol.

iPad USB charging on Windows 10 computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.