Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to free Control-Space for binding?

Hello, every one!

Control-Space is the default shortcut for Visual Code Studio, but it does not work for me.

After some time figuring out why, the system simply does not 'pass forward' the space button to the application.

Whenever I try to rebind the shortcut (even though it is the default one) the application does not recognise the space being pressed when control is also pressed.

I tried other shortcuts and they work fine, just to make sure the problem was not the application itself.

I also tried to unbind it from 'Select the previous input source' even knowing that it was disabled. But still, that binding seems to be protected or reserved.

User uploaded file

How can I free that binding up?

Thanks a lot!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Aug 20, 2018 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2018 5:54 PM

Some you just can't.

You should try using something other than an already used shortcut as it will not change the original, despite it looking like it did. In your case, ctrl-space is still active since you tried to change it to the other shortcut.

I changed the input source shortcuts to add the shift key. I could then assign ctrl-space to something else. I don't know if it will work for Visual Code Studio.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2018 5:54 PM in response to Tuliobbs

Some you just can't.

You should try using something other than an already used shortcut as it will not change the original, despite it looking like it did. In your case, ctrl-space is still active since you tried to change it to the other shortcut.

I changed the input source shortcuts to add the shift key. I could then assign ctrl-space to something else. I don't know if it will work for Visual Code Studio.

How to free Control-Space for binding?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.