Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faroese hardware keyboard for iphone and ipad

Hello. I am one of the 51000 people living on the faroe islands, and we don’t have a keyboard that’s made for our language on the I-products. As a rough estimate I would deem that at least half of our households have some kind of apple devices in their houses.

Not having a faroese keyboard means that we can’t use any smart keyboard since it won‘t give us the much needed letter in our alphabet ‘Ð’. I for one am about to start my bachelor degree and I was planning on using my ipad for the majority of my writing, but alas. Not possible..

I have tried a lot of third party keyboards, but none give me the letters I need while also functioning on a smart keyboard, if I’ve got the ‘ð’ then I loose the ‘ø’.

So if possible, is there anyone official that I can ask to do something about this?

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Aug 21, 2018 8:56 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Aug 24, 2018 5:56 AM in response to Eva813

Eva813 wrote:

If I type with the extended abc... the result from pressing the alt - option button is ‘∂’ for D and ‘ˆ' for O :/

You must have the wrong settings if that happens. Double check that your Settings > General > Keyboard > Hardware Keyboards > English looks like this

User uploaded file

(and the same for Danish and Icelandic if you normally use those keyboards)

Post a screenshot of your settings to verify.

Aug 24, 2018 7:58 AM in response to Eva813

Eva813 wrote:

I’m not on the wrong setting

Thanks! Do you have any other keyboards active in settings/general/keyboard/keyboards? If so, are they also set to ABC Extended for hardware?

Here is the mapping for the option/alt level of abc extended (the orange keys are dead keys for adding accents), which is how my ipad behaves. It is very strange if yours does not do the same.

User uploaded file

Aug 21, 2018 11:17 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I can do that with the danish one too, but none of them support any smart keyboards. The ipad is an amazing tool when it comes to most things, I can draw, take pictures, and so on, it’s a shame that i won’t be able to use it for school since it’s such a good tool. Light weight, compact, easy to use and other than the missing support for faroese it’d be perfect for school.

Aug 22, 2018 2:46 AM in response to Eva813

Eva813 wrote:

none of them support any smart keyboards.

Please explain what you mean by that. Exactly what keyboard are you talking about? Any hardware keyboard should give you the right characters using the option/alt key shortcuts when the iOS hardware layout is set to ABC Extended. Which ones do not work?

Or are you talking about something else, like spellcheck/autocorrect?

Faroese hardware keyboard for iphone and ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.