Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone X GPS Issues on 11.4.1

Ever since I've updated to iOS 11.4.1, I have been having non-stop GPS issues. Waze constantly says, "No GPS. Showing approximate location." Google Maps and Apple Maps can never pinpoint my location. I will start a route on Apple Maps, and I will be moving for 4-5 streets, and Apple Maps still thinks I am where I originally started.

Things I've tried:

- Reset Network Settings

- Reset Location and Privacy Settings

- Factory Reset

- Upgraded to iOS Beta

- Downgraded back to iOS 11.4.1

- Called Verizon to make sure everything is OK on their end

- Tried turning on all data/voice roaming within Cellular settings

- Tried leaving maps to ALWAYS on for location services

Nothing works. And after a quick search, it seems many people have the same issue.

It seems ridiculous to have these issues go on for a month now. My maps are basically unusable. Why has this not been fixed/addressed by Apple?

[Link Edited by Host]

iPhone X, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Aug 24, 2018 12:15 PM

15 replies

Aug 24, 2018 1:08 PM in response to janzaldua

Sounds like you have a hardware issue that, for whatever reason, decided to manifest itself upon 11.4.1 installation. My X is on 11.4.1 and is/has been rock solid with respect to GPS, so I don't think it is 11.4.1 per se.

Hardware performance naturally has a distribution of performance, some units worse than others, and a subtle software change may bring such an issue to a head for some people. You might want to make a Genius appointment, perhaps you can gain some traction with Apple if you explain what you've already tried.

But first, to rule out other possible causes, any vehicle changes when this started? Some cars seem to be noisier (electromagnetically-wise) than others ... I see a lot of reference to Sonata's with GPS issues for some reason.

Have you installed window tinting? That can interfere with GPS.

Or, more fundamentally, does this problem occur when you're outside of the vehicle?

Thinking outside the box, any other changes which might bear an impact?

Aug 24, 2018 1:26 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

I've read a few forum and reddit posts, which have stated that the people at the Genius bar, couldn't figure it out. This is from one of the posts,

" Went to a Genius Bar appointment, showed the genius my iPhone X GPS issue (T-Mobile model, 11.4), he pulled out a brand new iPhone X (SIM-free, 11.4), set it up, fired up GPSdiagnostic, same thing, signal only showing "Cellular / Wi-Fi / Bluetooth", no satellites, and HERE We Go app navigation keeps on "Looking for GPS", Waze app navigation "No GPS, using estimate location); so he pulled out his own iPhone X (Verizon, 12.1 beta 2) and same thing, then pulled out the store employee iPhone X (AT&T, 11.3.1) and same thing. He ran the Apple Diagnostic on ALL of the devices and they all turned up no issue. Unless ALL of the apps decided not to work with all 4 iPhone X GPS from 11.3.1 to 12.1 beta 2, then there is seriously something wrong with the iPhone X GPS. The genius suggested to wait for the 11.4.1 update to see if the problem persist then to make another appointment. Can we escalate this to Tim Cook now? "

Apparently this issue has been happening for a while, even back to 11.4. But as for your concern/suggestion, the GPS issue happens even outside of a vehicle. I actually walked outside earlier today, out in the open, and the same issue was happening when I tried to test it. Waze gave No GPS. Apple Maps didn't know where I was. Etc...

I don't want to waste hours waiting for a Genius Bar rep to tell me the same thing that they have told other people in the forums/posts I have been reading. Seems like there is no fix from Apple, and not even an update from them to let us know they are working on it.

Sep 3, 2018 4:46 AM in response to janzaldua

Why is Apple hating GPS?? iOS 11.4.1 fixed the GPS issue on my iPhone X for short time but now my iPhone X cannot figure out where I am. I have Apple Maps, Waze, & Google Maps installed. All 3 seem to feel I am in the general area but have no real idea where I actually am. Forget about walking or driving anywhere with guidance from your iPhone X as you may as well be stationed on the moon.

Has anyone else found it quite interesting that iPhone X drops GPS right before iPhone puts out a new iOS? Today is Labor Day, 9/3/18 - could Apple be laboring hard at fixing their GPS software issue? It has to be a software issue as each iOS update fixes the GPS issue until Apple is ready to launch a new iOS update.

I purchased my iPhone X in March 2018 and this is the 3rd time GPS has failed. iOS 12 cannot come out soon enough. Let's hope iOS 12 solves the GPS problem permanently!

Sep 8, 2018 8:27 PM in response to janzaldua

I keep hearing about this being a HW issue and I think it’s total BS. My wife and I have same exact phone. Both GPS works great. Then one got upgraded to 11.4 and immediately GPS stopped tracking and now is basically useless. The other one never got upgraded and GPS still works fine. How is this a HW issue? I am losing confidence in Apple to fix this thing I am thinking about buying a garmin or start to use my old Samsung galaxy to drive.

Sep 10, 2018 11:29 AM in response to janzaldua

After I upgraded back to the beta, I tried to downgrade back to iOS 11.4.1. But my phone was stuck in recovery mode, so I had to initiate a full restore on it through iTunes. After doing all that, maps is now working fine. But this issue is far from resolved, as I doubt a proper "solution" is to try all the steps I have initiated, and the thing that fixed it was to upgrade to the beta, try to downgrade, lock your phone in recovery mode, and then get forced to restore via iTunes.

I hope when iOS 12 comes out, this will actually be resolved. It is clear I am not the only one who has this problem.

Sep 18, 2018 4:28 PM in response to janzaldua

just upgraded to the official 12 release and GPS is still not functioning. When in google map or apple maps I can see my location drifts as much as 200 meters even when I standing still. This basically make it useless for driving navigation. Does anyone sees the same issue with the new ios 12? Why does Apple keep dropping the ball time after time? No one even bothered to do regression test?

Sep 26, 2018 6:48 PM in response to 67siia

Yes, my GPS has worked after restoring my iPhone X to new, also worked after restoring an old backup, and always works after updating to the new iOS. But for my X it appears that when Apple announces they will be releasing a new iOS, my GPS fails. The restores will work for a short time, but a long-term fix happens when the actual new iOS is dropped & I make the update. I had to wait to update to iOS 12 as I didn't have WiFi & couldn't connect to update. So I just updated my iPhone X on Sunday, Sept. 23rd and as predicted, all of my GPS apps and apps using location are all working again. I'm hoping it's a permanent fix.

But.... I'm am so frustrated with Apple X that I bet my GPS stops working again when Apple announces their next new iOS update.

iphone X GPS Issues on 11.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.