Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up OS Sierra

Can anyone send me a link on the steps to make a copy of my operating system Sierra on my macbook pro (2010). I will be upgrading my HD to a SSD. I already have time machine that backs up my hd but I would like to make a separate copy on another external hd or a usb stick.

And also I need help how to put the os Sierra back into my mac after I install the new SSD.

Do I need a third party app do to this? or Can I do this within the utility program that is provided by Apple within the system?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 27, 2018 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2018 6:44 AM

You can use a cloning software like SuperDuper! or CarbonCopy Cloner.

It's very easy, just choose the source volume and destination then copy.

Once you've made the clone you can then just clone the OS back to the new drive.

Similar questions

11 replies

Aug 27, 2018 6:55 AM in response to franca63

Yes, SD is the one I use for cloning. I keep 2 backups, one with Time Machine and one with SD.

The advantage of the clone is that you can boot from it and use the system. So, if your hard drive fails you can just boot from the backup and keep on working until you have the time to repair or replace the internal drive. You can also drag and drop files with the clone because it is the identical file structure on your primary drive.

The advantage of TM is that it creates recursive backups, so you can restore a file or the entire drive from a certain point in time.

Aug 28, 2018 11:24 AM in response to franca63

I downloaded super-duper and I'm trying to clone my OS High Sierra to an external hard drive. After I open Disk Utility, on the side bar under internal does not say High Sierra, it does show MacIntosh HD, if I click on that will it clone my whole hd? I just want to make a duplicate of OS High Sierra. In the Super Duper app it asks for the source, do I select MacIntosh HD?

Aug 28, 2018 1:00 PM in response to franca63

franca63 wrote:

I downloaded super-duper and I'm trying to clone my OS High Sierra to an external hard drive. After I open Disk Utility, on the side bar under internal does not say High Sierra, it does show MacIntosh HD, if I click on that will it clone my whole hd? I just want to make a duplicate of OS High Sierra. In the Super Duper app it asks for the source, do I select MacIntosh HD?

You don't need to use Disk Utility for anything. In SuperDuper! in the "From" field choose "SuperDuper!" and in the "To" field choose Macintosh HD. In the "Using" field choose Back up - all files. That will clone your entire system to the Macintosh HD.

Backing up OS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.