Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I update my apps in the App Store

I can’t update my apps in the App Store nor download new apps that are free because it’s asking for billing info and a pay method when it shouldn’t require it. Almost as if it wants to charge me to update apps like Facebook or messenger or Instagram all of which are free

Posted on Aug 28, 2018 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2018 8:05 AM

A Verified payment method is required to make use of the App Store.

It will not charge you for updating or downloading free apps, but it still requires the payment method be verified.

See here: Change or remove your Apple ID payment information - Apple Support

and here: If you can't choose None when you edit your Apple ID payment information - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2018 8:05 AM in response to Ramone91

A Verified payment method is required to make use of the App Store.

It will not charge you for updating or downloading free apps, but it still requires the payment method be verified.

See here: Change or remove your Apple ID payment information - Apple Support

and here: If you can't choose None when you edit your Apple ID payment information - Apple Support

Oct 1, 2018 6:55 AM in response to chantellefromgunning

The $1.00 charge is an authorization hold used to verify the payment method works. Its generally reversed within a few days.

See here for details: About payment card authorization holds in the iTunes Store - Apple Support

When you update your billing information in the iTunes, iBooks, and App Store, or add a member to your Family Sharing group, a temporary authorization hold for a nominal amount is placed on your credit card or the payment method that you have on file. Like many other merchants, iTunes uses authorization holds to confirm that your payment account is active and has the funds available for purchases.

For example, in the United States, you might see a $1.00 USD authorization hold. If you live in another country or region, you might see a different amount in the currency of your region.

Why can’t I update my apps in the App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.