Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote exports to PPSX instead of PPTX

I have a coworker using Keynote to export Keynote presentations to PowerPoint format. There are about 20 presentations in the series, all identical in visual style. However, presentation #7 exports as a ".ppsx" file which apparently cannot be edited in PowerPoint. All the rest correctly export as ".pptx" files.

According to one website, "PPSX is a PowerPoint Open XML Slide Show which was mainly designed to be non-editable and basically playback a PowerPoint presentation created prior. Files with the PPSX extension differ from PPTX which permits the file to be editable."

We are not sure why this one is exporting as PPSX, since the settings in the Export dialog are identical to all the other files. In fact, there is no PPSX export option, only PPTX. We also tried the legacy ".ppt" export option, but that saves out a folder with a ".pps" file inside (which is also apparently non-editable), along with some videos used in that presentation.

The coworker is using Keynote version 8.1.

Posted on Sep 4, 2018 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 7:06 PM

I called Apple Support and found a work-around with next to no disruption to my original Keynote presentation. For whatever reason, when you try to export a presentation that's been saved in the latest version of Keynote, it only exports it as a PPSX (not PPTX).

THE WORK-AROUND:

Save your Keynote presentation (or export, rather), as a Keynote '09 version. From that file format, you can then export the Keynote to PPTX. I only had two minor issues, where a few images didn't convert over properly; however, I simply copied and pasted them from the Keynote to the PPTX slides and all is well. Hope this helps, y'all!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2018 7:06 PM in response to Michael Prewitt

I called Apple Support and found a work-around with next to no disruption to my original Keynote presentation. For whatever reason, when you try to export a presentation that's been saved in the latest version of Keynote, it only exports it as a PPSX (not PPTX).

THE WORK-AROUND:

Save your Keynote presentation (or export, rather), as a Keynote '09 version. From that file format, you can then export the Keynote to PPTX. I only had two minor issues, where a few images didn't convert over properly; however, I simply copied and pasted them from the Keynote to the PPTX slides and all is well. Hope this helps, y'all!

Keynote exports to PPSX instead of PPTX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.