Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini late 2014 best resolution monitor

I have looked around in this form as well as others but have not found what I am looking for. I need a monitor for my late 2014 mac mini that will give very good to excellent resolution. I am part of a project that studies satellite imagery in which I need to be able to detect and identify small objects. My current (old) Samsung Syncmaster 193p plus justa is not up to the challenge.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 10, 2018 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2018 11:45 AM

Your Late 2014 Mac mini is capable of providing video out either the Thunderbolt 2 or HDMI ports and can support up to two displays at 2560 x 1600 pixels. Both ports have a number of display options as per the Apple specifications for this desktop device.

Ref: Mac mini (Late 2014) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Video Support

• Support for up to two displays at 2560 by 1600 pixels, both at millions of colors
  • Thunderbolt digital video output
    • Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
    • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
  • HDMI video output
    • Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
    • Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
    • Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz
  • DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

Based on these specs and the various port configurations, you can narrow down your search for a monitor that can provide your mini with the best possible resolution combination.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2018 11:45 AM in response to confused22

Your Late 2014 Mac mini is capable of providing video out either the Thunderbolt 2 or HDMI ports and can support up to two displays at 2560 x 1600 pixels. Both ports have a number of display options as per the Apple specifications for this desktop device.

Ref: Mac mini (Late 2014) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Video Support

• Support for up to two displays at 2560 by 1600 pixels, both at millions of colors
  • Thunderbolt digital video output
    • Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
    • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
  • HDMI video output
    • Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
    • Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
    • Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz
  • DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

Based on these specs and the various port configurations, you can narrow down your search for a monitor that can provide your mini with the best possible resolution combination.

Sep 10, 2018 12:19 PM in response to confused22

I understand, but you know now the maximum resolutions supported via either the mini's HDMI or Thunderbolt 2 ports and at what frequencies. Now it is a "simple" matter of comparing monitors that can support them AND have the correct digital video connector types. Also, even though you may find two monitors with the exact same specs, how they "look" can be significantly different when you actually see their displays.

... so providing you with actual brands and models would be somewhat meaningless.

Most HDTVs come with HDMI ports only. Dedicated computer monitors can come with either HDMI, DisplayPort, or DVI connectors. The latter two ports carry only video signals, whereas HDMI can carry both video and audio.

Sep 11, 2018 1:24 PM in response to confused22

The 2014 mini is rated to drive monitors via DisplayPort and will do 4K at 30 Hz. Some people can't tolerate 30hz but others are just fine with it (also depends on specific monitor). As mentioned you should go to a store to see for yourself. Otherwise find someplace that has a good return policy.

60Hz documented here: Running 4K @ 60Hz on Late 2014 Mac Mini

Sep 11, 2018 6:36 AM in response to confused22

The current Mac mini is to put it bluntly - obsolete. It is as you stated a 2014 model meaning it was designed more than four years ago which in turn means that in computing ages it is (almost) prehistoric. Even when brand new it had a rather feeble video chip and now it is utterly pathetic.

In a partial defence of the Mac mini - it was intended to be the cheapest lowest end of the Mac product line.

This means it has very limited capabilities in terms of resolution, it can in theory do 4K but it is so limited it cannot properly do 4K at that standard 60Hz refresh rate. As a result you can buy many, many good cheap monitors that the Mac mini is simply not capable of properly supporting.

As is almost always the case the best results are from using the Displayport connection rather than the HDMI connection.

Because the Mac mini is borderline at achieving even 4K it is hard to suggest a definitive monitor, I would therefore advise only buying if you can test before paying or can return if it does not work. This leaves three options.

• Get a standard 1920x1080 display, these will work no problem
  • Get a Displayport 4K display and try it
  • Get an ultra wide display like the LG ones, these are wider than normal but the same resolution vertically e.g. 2560x1080 again you should choose one that uses Displayport as this definitely exceeds the Mac mini HDMI capabilities

Arguably for what you intend an iMac 27" which has a resolution of 5120‑by‑2880 would be the best choice, it would however cost more. Consider selling your Mac mini system to raise money towards the iMac.

mac mini late 2014 best resolution monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.