Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem connecting Apple TV to Airplay Speaker

Hi

I am having problems trying to get my 3rd Gen Apple TV (1469) to send audio to an Airplay endpoint.

Here is the scenario I am trying to achieve. We have the Apple TV located near a projector for use with iPads to screen share. Unfortunately there is no audio near the projector so I was trying to then get the Apple TV to Airplay the audio to something else near the PA desk so we can get audio when we are showing videos in presentations etc. I have an airport express that we use for the wifi and in the past have had no issues in connecting the 2, however this seems to have stopped working.

Here's what I have tried

- Everything has been updated to the latest software levels (7.2.2 on the Apple TV and latest firmware on the airport express)

- I can Airplay to the Apple TV fine and when I have it plugged into a TV we get audio no problems.

- I can Airplay audio to the airport express from my phone with no problems

- When I go into the Airplay menu of the Apple TV and try to select the airport express as a 'Speaker' the audio briefly drops then just returns to the TV. No sound ever makes it to the airport express.

- I have also tried using a second Apple TV I have as an airplay endpoint and the same happened

- I also tried the same experiments with the second Apple TV and got exactly the same results

- I have retried everything with and without wifi, with and without an full internet connection with the same results

I know I could use the optical out, convert it to analogue and run a cable down as the optical out is working but I am trying to avoid the cable run as I think what I am trying should work.

Are there any known bugs or gotchas when trying to connect a 3rd gen Apple TV to an Airplay speaker please?

Thanks for your help

Chris

Apple TV, Other OS, Model 1469, Firmware 7.2.2

Posted on Sep 17, 2018 1:59 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 17, 2018 3:17 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Hi

Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure that was quite what I was trying to do. Sorry I probably wasn't very clear about that.

In the Apple TV there is an option to configure its audio output to be to an airplay speaker so the source of the video wouldn't be splitting to 2 airplay endpoints just making the Apple TV send its audio somewhere else.

What I am trying to do is described in this blog post.

http://streaming-blog.com/redirect-apple-tv-audio-to-alternate-airplay-speakers/

User uploaded file

Using this menu in the Apple TV I would select Apple TV (2) (or in my case an airport express) and it would send the audio there and display the video from the current Apple TV

User uploaded file

Thanks again for your help

Chris

Sep 17, 2018 3:03 AM in response to cpbackhouse

I don’t think it will currently work with your model, or any Apple TV. Every time someone tries to AirPlay video to one device and tries to AirPlay audio to another device, they reach the limit of the possibilities, and vent here that they think it should be possible. It seems that split just doesn’t work, not with HomePods or AirPort Express or anything. You’ll have to route the audio from the HDMI or optical, when you AirPlay at the same time. AirPlay 2 doesn’t bring that feature either.

Problem connecting Apple TV to Airplay Speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.