Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail notification WatchOS 5

Since upgrading my iPhone X to iOS 12 and my watch series 2 to WatchOS 5 I am not getting email notifications on my watch. It appears VIP email notifications work. I've tried everything I can think of.

Apple Watch Series 2, watchOS 5, iPhone X - iOS 12

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 7:51 AM

So, it looks to me like this is more an issue with iOS 12 changing a default behavior on the phone, and then the watch mirroring the phone. I went into the settings on the phone and the sound settings were changed to no vibration for new mail. I changed it back to a vibration and now the watch works fine. What ticks me off is that Apple's support reps don't know this and had me wipe my phone.

140 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2018 7:51 AM in response to Michael Machado

So, it looks to me like this is more an issue with iOS 12 changing a default behavior on the phone, and then the watch mirroring the phone. I went into the settings on the phone and the sound settings were changed to no vibration for new mail. I changed it back to a vibration and now the watch works fine. What ticks me off is that Apple's support reps don't know this and had me wipe my phone.

Sep 19, 2018 2:31 PM in response to ttjohns

Hey there, ttjohns!

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that you're not receiving Mail notifications on your Apple Watch since updating to iOS 12 on your iPhone X and watchOS 5 on your Apple Watch. I'm happy to help!

Based on what you've described, I would first recommend restarting your iPhone ( Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support ) and your Apple Watch ( How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support ).

If you're still not receiving Mail notifications on your Watch after this, try unpairing your Watch and iPhone ( Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support ), then setting it up again ( Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support ).

Have a great day!

Sep 20, 2018 6:07 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Well, I've completed my tests, and I find that if I mirror my iPhone with the watch, having both accounts set for notification, everything works. However, as soon as I turn off either of the accounts by using Custom notifications, I lose the notification on the watch for the one account I have turned on there. I intend to provide feedback to Apple about this, and suggest others do as well. The link for feedback is https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

Sep 22, 2018 7:37 AM in response to mav2

I did not have to use the VIP Setting. I just turned off Custom in the Watch app on the phone and set it to mirror my iPhone. That way both of my accounts on the phone will now come to the Watch, and notifications work fine that way. I would also recommend that anyone experiencing the problem provide feedback to Apple so they are aware of the issues. Use this link and describe your issue, i.e. how many mail accounts, other settings that cause the problem, etc. https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

Sep 19, 2018 3:23 PM in response to sterling r

Before I posted I tried restarting both the watch and the phone, unpairing the watch/re-pairing the watch restoring, unpairing the watch/re-pairing the watch as a new watch, and deleting the mail accounts and mail app and reinstalling/re configuring. None of this worked. All other notifications work as expected.

I should note that I regularly support this equipment as an IT professional.

I did get notifications to work for mail by turning on banners for Mail app on the phone (I really don't want this on) but audio only, no haptic. Also - Even with banner turned on, I get no mail notification for any mail if I chose Custom in the watch app to exclude one mailbox. In my opinion, this seems to be a bug in iOS 12, the mail app, or WatchOS 5 but I sure don't see many people complaining. Searching the web shows similar issues throughout the beta for iOS 12 and WatchOS 5.

Sep 20, 2018 2:45 PM in response to ttjohns

I have the exact same issue. I get a ping tone but no haptic feedback. Contacted Apple Support and they had me wipe my phone and watch. I ended up losing photos and other information so I highly advise that you don't listen to them if they suggest you do that. It also didn't fix the problem. It is clearly a bug in WatchOS 5. The support rep also recommended I have the watch hardware checked out. Not going to do it since everything worked fine in OS 4. It's a bug and Apple needs to inform their support reps and get it fixed.

Sep 20, 2018 4:58 PM in response to ObiWan353

I did that too. It works for one of my mailboxes but the other still just dings with no haptic even though it is set up the same. Also, banners MUST be turned on for this to work at all. I don't want email banners. Never had to have them before.

Custom settings in the watch still don't work if you want to exclude a mailbox from notifications.

Sep 20, 2018 5:02 PM in response to ttjohns

I'm starting to see a problem as well, using a custom setting on the Watch to exclude my personal mail on the watch, and just use my work mail. I'm trying some troubleshooting now, but it seems you are saying it won't help. If I get any changes, I'll let you know. I'm going to start by mirroring the phone to see if I get notification for both accounts, then turn them off individually and see what happens. I'll report any positive findings.

Sep 21, 2018 11:23 PM in response to ttjohns

I have the exact same issue:

iPhone X iOS 12

Apple Watch 3 watchOS 5

As soon as I updated my phone and watch my mail notifications stopped working properly on my watch. Originally they were set to custom in the watch app with sound and haptic set to on. Switching to mirror my phone resulted in one exchange account getting sound and haptic but my second exchange account only getting sound. Both accounts were set to have the exact same notification settings and sound and haptics were set to the same tone and rapid vibration setting on my phone.

Ultimately I switched to the Outlook app for now for both accounts and they work as expected on my watch with both sound and haptic working again. Honestly notifications come in a lot faster too.

Some things I have seen said to change the vibration type to alert for the new mail section of sounds and haptics on the phone settings.

I also am an IT professional and support a fair amount of Apple devices. I rebooted both phone and watch multiple times as well as unpairing and re-pairing the watch, reset network settings, all with no change.

Feels more like a bug in the mail app/watchOS interaction.

Sep 22, 2018 8:44 PM in response to Prof B

I have this issue also on series 4 and XS Max... drove me insane as I couldn’t figure out what was going on! Is it new that the iPhone doesn’t vibrate with email notification? Or is that just ios 12?

Also curious that when you get a notification on your watch, you can usually swipe down to dismiss them but with mail you can’t dismiss them without tapping on them. Is this for others too?

Have submitted feedback also and hopefully addressed soon!

Sep 23, 2018 6:57 AM in response to Prof B

Hello,

same issue here:

iPhone Xs Max + Apple Watch Series 4 GPS + Cellular.

Chatted with Support, and they are really Amateur´s:

First one checked internally and said, yes some people adressed this.

He advised me to do some changes. Then connection interrupted.

Second Support Staff discussed 20 Minutes and wasted my time and didn´t believe, that this is a software issue.

She forwarded me to her Boss and i explained all again.

He checked internally and told me, that is a issues and already adressed to their technical department.

Hope this is correct.

Sep 24, 2018 5:05 PM in response to ttjohns

I have had the same issue since the iOS 12 and watchOS 5 updates and it has been driving me crazy. I’ve been dealing with Apple support and engineers and just running in circles!!! I followed the advice of someone on this thread and it somewhat worked. On my phone settings, under sounds and haptics for new mail, I had to change it to an actual vibration (couldn’t use none, although that’s what I prefer) then on Apple Watch app had to go to notifications, then mail and choose mirror versus custom. Once I did that, I got haptic mail notifications on my watch! Definitely a bug, but happy for a temporary work around to get haptic mail notifications on my watch.

Mail notification WatchOS 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.