Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12 card reader problem

I use every day the original Apple Card Reader model A1441 to transfer my photos to my devices two iPhone 7 and one iPad Air 2.

Soon after i update my devices to iOS 12 the card reader stop responding when i connect it with the iPhone or the iPad.

On screen i get the message "this accessory is not supported by this iPhone or Ipad.

Sometimes still works fine but most of the time i get that message. I tried to other iPhones with iOS 11 and the first time works fine, after that stop responding.

Strange thing is that when i tried some solutions i read on forums (as to restart the device with the card reader connected) i manage to make the card reader to work again for a few times on my iPhone 7 with iOS 12. But again soon after that it stops responding.

I think that this is a software issue and not a card reader problem.

I also connect a new Apple Card reader model in my iPhone 7 with iOS 12, to see if there is any change, and it seems to work but it takew too long to open the photographs. With the iOS 11.4 the connection was in a second.

Is anyone else experience the same problem?

My device is iPhone 7 256gb with iOS 12 and iPad Air 2 64gb. The card reader is Apple model A1441

Posted on Sep 19, 2018 1:52 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Nov 10, 2018 12:24 AM in response to MarcSeguin

Fortunately I've another iPad (9.7 Pro,128GB) not upgraded, still iOS 10.2 there it still works like a charm.

Stupid me doing the upgrade on my newer iPad. (10.5, 512GB), now it is useless because the Card-Reader is

an essential part of my video edit workflow;-( and the older one is full.

Even a new initialization of iOS12.1 did not help, lost a lot of time now.

Nov 11, 2018 5:38 AM in response to Praxistest.ch

HiPraxistest.ch,

I know what you might feel. Upgrading to iOS 12 feels like downgrading, losing important functionality.

There are few workarounds

• RAVPower 64GB iPhone Flash Drive 2 in 1 SD Card Reader
  • Lexar microSD to Lightning Reader - LRWMLBNL

You can buy those from Amazon. Lexar's reader is smaller, RAVPower is bigger but has also regular USB connector, which might become handy on some scenarios.

I'm really disappointed, as the issue is quite clear, Apple's Photos app Import module doesn't scan MP_ROOT folder anymore and Apple's Support is informed about.

Read this thread for more details:

iOS 12 doesn’t show mp4 videos on SD Card on Import (iPad Pro 10.5)

Oct 3, 2018 3:53 PM in response to Johnkem

I just started to have the exact same problem after I upgrade both my iPhone 8 and my iPad Air to iOS 12. I’ve been using my Apple lightning sd card reader for years. And now, with iOS 12, I can no longer use my card reader to bring in photos to either my iPhone or iPad using the card reader. In the Photos app, I get the import screen but it says: “no photos to import”. But I know there are jpegs on the sd card with the right file names and in the right folder. I’ve been in touch with Apple support and keep getting pushed up the seniority ranks of “advisors”. I’m now waiting for a call from their engineers! Very frustrating. This is clearly a software bug.

Nov 12, 2018 5:22 AM in response to Praxistest.ch

HI Praxistest.ch,

Please can you be a more specific?

Into which folder you added your own MP4/MOV video files?

I can confirm, that if Sony video files are in DCIM folder, Apple Photos Import module can see these and import too. Problem is, that Apple Photos Import module doesn't scan MP_ROOT folder on SD cards.

Please read more here:

iOS 12 doesn’t show mp4 videos on SD Card on Import (iPad Pro 10.5)

Nov 12, 2018 8:15 AM in response to Praxistest.ch

MP_ROOT is on the root of SD card, like DCIM. Length of folder name has nothing do to here, as DCIM isn't 8 char long either. Apple's Photos Import module on iOS 12 just ignores all other folders except DCIM. Earlier versions of iOS scanned MP_ROOT folder too, without issues. Thats where the bug is. I have been in contact with Apple's support division and they have a lot of debug informations, which I have provided to them. I have investigated this issue quite deeply. If you put XAVC S video format files into DCIM folder, iOS can import those too and you can use these on iMove etc for video editing without any issues.

Please read iOS 12 doesn’t show mp4 videos on SD Card on Import (iPad Pro 10.5) for more details.

Nov 12, 2018 6:34 AM in response to U24

Hi U24,

the MP_ROOT is only 7 chars long, it has to be exactly 8 to be scanned, so MP_ROOT1 would work;-)

the Sony-style of saving files on the SD-card is always a source of "great pleasure"

What always worked, is the Canon-Way, importing with that works like a charm:

<Mount-Point of SD card>/DCIM/<FOLDER exactly 8 CHARACTERS>/<MEDIA FILE exactly 8 CHARACTERS>

Example: /Volumes/SEXTREME265/DCIM/101CANON/MVI_9331.MP4

This still works for me reliable with media files created with my iPad, but not by my Sony 6300 or Canon 80D and

only since upgrade iOS 12.1, iOS 10.2 and 11.4 still is ok.

Nov 25, 2018 4:28 PM in response to Johnkem

Hey Guys .. I had the same issue when I upgraded my iPhone SE to iOS12 on the 24th Nov. with iOS11, I was able to transfer the Pictures from my DSLR to iPhone using the Lighting to USB Camera Adaptor.

When I connected my Camera to the Phone via this cable, the Import folder showed up on the Photos library and the message read as : No photos to Import.

I called up the Apple Desk after going through some help on the community to find that some of you had faced a similar issue.

The irony is that after the Upgrade, iPhone takes more than usual to recognise the pictures. Yes, you read it right. t takes about 3-5 mins after the initial message for the pictures to appear on your phone screen. And Yes, all pictures from the camera appear on the phone in no time and also the transfer of the selected pics is seamless.

I then asked the associate at Apple to close the case and here I am documenting the solution.

I did transfer the pictures couple of times today the 25th....and Yes, it reads no photos to import. All I do is wait, like 3-5 mins and then boom... everything is seamless after that..

Good Luck to you all... I tested the same with other iPhones and same process.

Dec 16, 2018 12:16 PM in response to iHarleyDavidson

Had the exact same issue as you “iHarleyDavidson” called Apple support and after 1/2 hour on the phone, supervisor said nothing can be done. I told him I was done buying expensive Apple accessories that are useless after a few updates. I feel like going back to IOS 11, it worked fine for me. I’ll try what you suggested by waiting 3-5 minutes. I doubt it will work because last night my camera stayed connected to my iPad long and didn’t make a difference. I’ll keep you updated. Thanx!

iOS 12 card reader problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.