Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 12.0 Update not working for CAC enabled websites.

While browsing to CAC enabled websites the prompt for a CAC pin is not showing. Sometimes a prompt for certificate is not showing as well. Unable to access any CAC enabled websites since Safari 12.0 update.

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 19, 2018 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 12:37 PM

I have found a fix for this issue.

Most CAC enablers disable the macOS internal smart card reader. By re-enabling the internal smart card reader Safari will start prompting for a pin again. Follow these procedures to fix:

Check to see if internal smart card is disabled:

sudo defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard.plist

If the following is present, then your internal smart card reader is disabled:

{

DisabledTokens = (

"com.apple.CryptoTokenKit.pivtoken"

);

}

To enable the internal smart card reader, then either modify the plist file and remove that section, or delete the plist file entirely:

sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard DisabledTokens

or

sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard.plist (this is what I did)

Restart and try again.

Note: I have read that having the internal smart card reader enabled and using a CAC enabler can cause "other" issues. I am using CACKey middleware, and have not experienced any issues yet. If for some reason you do experience issues, the following command will restore the plist file as it was:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard DisabledTokens -array com.apple.CryptoTokenKit.pivtoken

Please reply with other solutions or issues if any, and of course if this fix worked for you.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2018 12:37 PM in response to stonesd

I have found a fix for this issue.

Most CAC enablers disable the macOS internal smart card reader. By re-enabling the internal smart card reader Safari will start prompting for a pin again. Follow these procedures to fix:

Check to see if internal smart card is disabled:

sudo defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard.plist

If the following is present, then your internal smart card reader is disabled:

{

DisabledTokens = (

"com.apple.CryptoTokenKit.pivtoken"

);

}

To enable the internal smart card reader, then either modify the plist file and remove that section, or delete the plist file entirely:

sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard DisabledTokens

or

sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard.plist (this is what I did)

Restart and try again.

Note: I have read that having the internal smart card reader enabled and using a CAC enabler can cause "other" issues. I am using CACKey middleware, and have not experienced any issues yet. If for some reason you do experience issues, the following command will restore the plist file as it was:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard DisabledTokens -array com.apple.CryptoTokenKit.pivtoken

Please reply with other solutions or issues if any, and of course if this fix worked for you.

Safari 12.0 Update not working for CAC enabled websites.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.