Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12 issue google maps Apple CarPlay microphone issue

i have a 2019 Honda Pilot . When I launch the google maps app on CarPlay using my connected lighting cable the app opens. However when I click on the microphone icon and where to comes up , the app can’t hear me. When I disconnect cable and use app from my phone by clicking on microphone icon it works fine. I have allowed microphone access to google maps and have maid sure in settings it’s unmuted. Again the app in car play works fine if I type an address. It speaks to me through the car speakers just fine. I just can’t get it to hear my phones microphone when trying to use the microphone icon inside the app. I even tried while connectEd with cable to Apple play pushing the little microphone icon on phone screen. It says listening but can’t here anything. I have done a hard reset of phone. I called Honda and a lady there had same iPhone X and said the microphone icon in google maps worked fine on her end. ideas??

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 5:15 PM

59 replies

Oct 15, 2018 4:33 AM in response to Ij2cool

To: LJ2Cool, I have same problem of non-functioning microphone feature using Google Map App on my iPhone 8 with Apple Car Play in my 2019 Acura RDX. I have updated iOS to 12.0.1 and updated to Google Maps to Version 5.2.1. I have gone into Settings>Microphone to allow access to Google Maps. Google Map's Microphone function does work when my iPhone is unplugged from USB and not used with Apple Car Play. Any user having this problem should reply to your Comment and mention make/model of their car so that Apple can give priority to fixing this problem. MLG

Oct 16, 2018 7:21 PM in response to Ij2cool

I’m seeing more post on this issue. Possibly as it grows on the web we will see an answer . What we know 1. It affects not jut one car company 2. The google microphone works fine when not connected to CarPlay. I wonder if the head units in say a honda vs Hyundai or Jeep could all be built by the same company? Is google the problem?,my wife’s Samsung S7 microphone works fine in same vehicle using android auto. This points to Apple being the issue. Yet in some Cars the microphone in google maps works in CarPlay . Can the common denominator be a head unit that is made by the same company yet used in different models . Or can I ramble on even longer because I’m frustrated and really have no clue!

Oct 17, 2018 5:00 AM in response to Ij2cool

I hear you ljCool! I worked with Apple high level tech support who took screen shots, my phones logs and everything from me, then after a week or so of phone calls and troubleshooting, they blamed Google. AS I am also a Waze Beta Tester, this option is not suppose to work for anyone, so they tell me. AS far as Google Maps Navigation, it should work for everyone. Sadly, Google ***** and does not respond to their tech support emails! I never heard from them.

My vehicle is a Kia Sportage SX. It has a stock UVO head unit. Not sure who manufactures it, but I don't think that the head unites are from the same manufacturer. the 2019 Acura RDX with true touch touchpad also has no mic input and that is very different from the Kia and Hyundai touch screen head units.

PS: my head unit does not have a newer firmware. It's as updated as it can be!

Oct 23, 2018 9:01 AM in response to fligster

When I called Acura Customer Service and also called Service Department at my Acura dealer today, neither were aware of any updates for Infotainment System for 2019 Acura RDX. I submitted feedback at Acura website requesting that they fix problem so that Voice Command (Microphone) will function when using Google Map or Waze Apps with Apple Car Play. Suggest you likewise submit at Acura website - more customers submitting feedback will cause Acura to give the issue a higher priority.

Oct 25, 2018 4:41 AM in response to Ij2cool

During quick Internet Search today, I came across a 9/20/2018 post at Electric Vehicle Community that indicates voice recognition is working on some vehicles with Apple Car Play (but it's still not working on my 2019 Acura RDX). To those reading this thread, please reply with year, make, and model of your vehicle and indicate whether voice recognition is working when you use Google Maps or Waze with Apple Carplay. Replies will help raise visibility of this issue. Thanks.

------------

THREAD AT ELECTRIC VEHICLE COMMUNITY

https://www.speakev.com/threads/google-maps-now-available-on-apple-carplay.12790 0/

Oct 25, 2018 6:34 PM in response to Ij2cool

You are preaching to the choir. I suspect the issue is with cars that do not have touchscreens. Apple seems to have little interest in fixing this anytime soon. I believe it can lead to driver distraction and trigger collisions and this is a safety issue. Here is the the link to the NHTSA to inform them of the issue: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Oct 25, 2018 7:05 PM in response to Ij2cool

It’s really crazy, that no one has figured this out. My wife’s android phone works fine with the google maps microphone on my 2019 pilot. My iPhone 10 doesn’t. Is it Google’s fault,Apples’s or the software in our touch screens? We have different models from Honda to Hyundai to jeeps. My wife’s Samsung Galaxy works, my iPhone X doesn’t with google maps microphone.ot works on older Honda vehicles and on some newer depending on the model

Heck no idea what needs fixed? Google or CarPlay?

iOS 12 issue google maps Apple CarPlay microphone issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.