Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upsidedown printing of double-sided page

I have created a document with Apple Pages that has two pages, with four columns on each page. List A is on page one and List B is on page two.

I print the page as a double-sided document. When page two prints, it prints upside down! Any suggestions??

My goal is to print the document, fold it in half like a book/pamphlet.

Mac Pro (Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 11:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 9:29 AM

Hi Stephanos,

One key here is in the Print dialogue. This one is for an Epson printer that supports duplex (two-sided) printing.

User uploaded file

Note the pop-up menu below the From: and To: boxes. This menu usually reads "Layout" when the dialogue is opened.

Change that to Two-sided Printing Settings, and the wo sided Printing menu will appear. Set this menu to "Short Edge Binding (as shown). Then Print.

Note that the 'inside' pages (2 and 3) will print the columns in the same left to right order as they appear in the document.

The 'outside' pages will also be printed in the same left to right order as seen on the screen, placing the left side on the BACK of the pamphlet, and the right page on the FRONT of the pamphlet.

Regards,

Barry

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2018 9:29 AM in response to Stephanos in Atlanta

Hi Stephanos,

One key here is in the Print dialogue. This one is for an Epson printer that supports duplex (two-sided) printing.

User uploaded file

Note the pop-up menu below the From: and To: boxes. This menu usually reads "Layout" when the dialogue is opened.

Change that to Two-sided Printing Settings, and the wo sided Printing menu will appear. Set this menu to "Short Edge Binding (as shown). Then Print.

Note that the 'inside' pages (2 and 3) will print the columns in the same left to right order as they appear in the document.

The 'outside' pages will also be printed in the same left to right order as seen on the screen, placing the left side on the BACK of the pamphlet, and the right page on the FRONT of the pamphlet.

Regards,

Barry

Sep 21, 2018 9:51 AM in response to Barry

THANK YOU! A very easy and realistic solution to my problem!

(So, I assume that basically what I needed to do is make sure it set to Two-sided Printing and set it to Short-Edge Binding? {the page was also in Portrait mode} After doing this, it solved the problem!)

One additional question: What, basically, is the difference between "Long-Edge and Short-Edge Binding" printing? I assume that Long-Edge is for printing booklets/pamphlets in portrait mode that will not be folded, but simply bound together; whereas, Short-Edge is for printing booklets/pamphlets in portrait mode that will be folded in half to form a pamphlet/leaflet?

What is aggravating is that Pages and the printer should not be set to print the second page upside-side down by default! The default should be set to print all sides right-side up.

Sep 21, 2018 9:53 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Useless and unhelpful answer! It's like, "DUH, I figured out myself that I could print one side and then put the paper back into the printer; but then you're faced with the dilema of face-up or face-down? Which way to flip the page: side to side or end to end!" I wonder if your answer was not in sarcasm?

What is aggravating is that Pages and the printer should not be set to print the second page upside-side down by default! The default should be set to print all sides right-side up.

Barry provided the easy and correct solution to the problem.

Sep 21, 2018 12:26 PM in response to Stephanos in Atlanta

No it is years of experience and not looking at simple problems as some confounding mystery only solvable by someone else.

A single simple test of printing a test sheet with a note written on the blank paper showing how it was oriented when it was fed into the Printer tells you exactly how it works.

The software and printer are stupid, they have no way of knowing what the content is on a page, nor what you want to do with it. That is in your hands.

Upsidedown printing of double-sided page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.