Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto not responding

I have force quitted iphoto several times. Each time it restarts with the spinning wheel.

Tried creating a new library as suggested by previous respondent. This worked for a few seconds and I could select a menu but then the dreaded spinning wheel returned.

I have a large library and had inadvertently checked something like 'automatically find location for images' the last time I used it. I would like to turn this off but can't get past the spinning wheel. I'm running Iphoto 8.1.2 and OSX 10.9.5 on a 2009 MacBook Pro.

Any suggestions please?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 2:50 AM

I have a large library and had inadvertently checked something like 'automatically find location for images' the last time I used it. I would like to turn this off but can't get past the spinning wheel.

Disable the Internet connection, before you try to open Photos again. If you are working off-line, you should be able to get to the iPhoto preferences to disable the Places feature again.

iPhoto is hanging, because it can no longer access Goggle's servers for the maps. Apple did not renew the contract with Google for the access rights to Google maps. This problem has been round since iPhoto 9.5.1 came out with Apple's own maps. Since then it has no longer been possible to use the Places feature in older iPhoto versions.

See: Bug: iPhoto 9.4 crashing when viewing Places

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2018 2:50 AM in response to pardoe

I have a large library and had inadvertently checked something like 'automatically find location for images' the last time I used it. I would like to turn this off but can't get past the spinning wheel.

Disable the Internet connection, before you try to open Photos again. If you are working off-line, you should be able to get to the iPhoto preferences to disable the Places feature again.

iPhoto is hanging, because it can no longer access Goggle's servers for the maps. Apple did not renew the contract with Google for the access rights to Google maps. This problem has been round since iPhoto 9.5.1 came out with Apple's own maps. Since then it has no longer been possible to use the Places feature in older iPhoto versions.

See: Bug: iPhoto 9.4 crashing when viewing Places

iphoto not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.