Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch not honoring 'Hide Alerts' on group message

Hi,

I'm in a family message group with seven other family members (including kids). Due to the HIGH number of messages I have set this group to 'Hide Alerts' on my iPhone, but for some reason the alerts still come through on my Apple Watch.

How can I stop this?? It's VERY aggravating that my watch is buzzing my wrist every 5 minutes.

Phone and Watch info:

- iPhone 7 (128GB) - with iOS 12.0

- Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS only - no cellular) - with WatchOS 5.0

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 5

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 11:41 AM

Looks like I spoke too soon, it's still happening...

iPhone > Messages > (my group message) Info > Hide Alerts is turned on:

User uploaded file

iPhone > Watch App > Notifications > Messages:

User uploaded file

I've tried restarting my watch (before and after updating the Watch to mirror my iPhone), but no luck. I've also tried deleting the group message, then recreating it and enabling the setting, but that did not work either.

I'm out of ideas and about to go crazy with this buzzing all the time. I can ask my family to take me out of the group, but that's fair either...

Thanks,

Nick

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2018 11:41 AM in response to sterling r

Looks like I spoke too soon, it's still happening...

iPhone > Messages > (my group message) Info > Hide Alerts is turned on:

User uploaded file

iPhone > Watch App > Notifications > Messages:

User uploaded file

I've tried restarting my watch (before and after updating the Watch to mirror my iPhone), but no luck. I've also tried deleting the group message, then recreating it and enabling the setting, but that did not work either.

I'm out of ideas and about to go crazy with this buzzing all the time. I can ask my family to take me out of the group, but that's fair either...

Thanks,

Nick

Sep 25, 2018 12:48 PM in response to NickW1280

Hey NickW1280,

Thanks for getting back to us. Since you're still experiencing this issue, I recommend to try unpairing and then re-pairing your watch to your iPhone. You can find the steps to do that below:

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch
Set up your Apple Watch
If you find you're still having trouble after going through those steps, then you'll want to Contact Apple Support for further help.

Regards.

Sep 25, 2018 9:26 AM in response to NickW1280

Hello NickW1280,

I understand that you want to mute notifications on your Apple Watch for messages sent in a group chat. I'm always looking for the best way to manage the notifications I get for certain apps on my devices and I'd like to help with this. If you've already set this message thread to 'Hide Alerts' on your iPhone but they still alert you on your device, you may need to update your settings to mirror your iPhone on your Apple Watch app. Check out this resource to learn how.
Notifications on your Apple Watch
Specifically this section here:

Choose which notifications you get

You can customize the notifications for each app that you use with your Apple Watch. By default, your Apple Watch notifications mirror your iPhone settings. For example, if you set your iPhone Mail app to notify you only of VIP emails and your watch notifications mirror your iPhone, you'll see only VIP email notifications on your Apple Watch.

For built-in apps, you can choose which notifications you get:

1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap the My Watch tab, then tap Notifications.
  3. Tap an app. If you want the app's notification settings to mirror settings on your iPhone, tap Mirror my iPhone. If you want to choose certain types of notifications to get on just your Apple Watch, tap Custom.

For third-party apps, you can turn off notifications. Scroll down to the Mirror iPhone Alerts From section and turn off the setting next to the app.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

Watch not honoring 'Hide Alerts' on group message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.