Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flicker on iPhone XS

Seems to be related to the brightness slider. When I go to the brightness settings and enter a room that is brighter or darker, I see the slider move as normal. As soon as is passes under the letter S in ā€œbrightnessā€ it flickers once. I tried moving it manually, and I get the same issue at the same spot. Itā€™s annoying, since it constantly goes up and down as I move around, and causes the flicker every time. Never had this with my 9 iPhones before this one. I hope itā€™s software related and thereā€™s a fix on the way.

Anybody else having this issue?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 9:30 PM

60 replies

Oct 3, 2018 2:23 PM in response to Rahnay

Iā€™ve been noticing this. Itā€™s very annoying.

Moving from a bright room to a dark room, the screen slowly dims. When it gets very dim (below 20%), there is a sudden single flicker like the brightness dropping suddenly. It happens every time and itā€™s also possible to reproduce this by manually (very slowly) moving the brightness slider down. When the slider hits that same point (around 20%), you see the drop.

Oct 4, 2018 11:48 AM in response to jgpsolo

Yes, this is the exact issue Iā€™m having. I brought it to an Apple Store and diagnostics showed that everything was ok. I was also manually able to recreate the flicker by moving the slider slowly. After they finally saw it, they gave me a replacement XS. The same thing is happening on the replacement. Since itā€™s also happening on the XS Max, Iā€™m thinking itā€™s a software issue. Hereā€™s hoping it gets fixed in 12.1. I upgraded from an X and now I have an annoying issue that I didnā€™t have previously.

Oct 25, 2018 11:01 AM in response to jgpsolo

I have the iPhone XS Max and I donā€™t even have to go into a room It does it on any app and Iā€™ve done everything I can think of to make it stop. The flickering light is blinding. I just tap it to turn it on and it flicks and it doesnā€™t matter what Iā€™m doing. I wish Apple would do more testing before they release their phones. There is always something wrong with them. I have the 510 GB and this thing cost me $1570. More than my MacBook Pro. Itā€™s really upsetting.

Nov 3, 2018 7:41 AM in response to David13_13

I also notice it on my xs max. It seems to do it in low light in various applications. I even noticed when the Face ID didnā€™t read it did it once. I believe itā€™s a software issue. Just because every phone isnā€™t affected doesnā€™t mean anything. The charging issue with some of the Xs phones earlier never happened on mine. So hopefully apple will fix the issue soon. Not a big issue but still annoying

Nov 3, 2018 11:05 PM in response to Rahnay

Ours (2) flickers for no apparent reason. I could go into my bank account app, or any other app and itā€™ll do it. Or I can just unlock it and it will do it. There is no rhyme or reason as to why it flickers. I just hope they do an update to get rid of this issue. Iā€™ve had every iPhone since the iPhone three and Apple is not keeping up with the many issues of owning an iPhone. Itā€™s very disillusioning especially since this iPhone cost me over $1500.

Nov 6, 2018 4:02 AM in response to likados

Is this flickering very noticeable? I have something like this, but it's more at 40% of brightness. When I have True Tone "on", and I put phone near window and then back to darker part of room, I see the True Tone change (from cold to warm) and with this change I see a little bit of flickering at Apple photo app (during watching pictures) šŸ˜Ÿ. A I said, it's more at 40% of brightness, and don't know if this screen problem or software. Would be nice if Apple said something, if they working at update...

Nov 6, 2018 6:05 AM in response to likados

To be honest, when I slide brightness bar - nothing is happening. I only see it at photo app.

Can someone test it for me:

Turn on auto brightness and True Tone. Take a picture and go to camera roll. Now try to put your iPhone to environment where brightness is ~40% and try to move it around just to True Tone can do the job. Watch the white bar above the picture. I found out that many times when I watch pictures at camera roll, white bar is starting to flickering a little bit or dimming. It's especially noticeable when you watch pictures in two environments (day light and bulb at the same time)...

There is no such effect in Safari, Mail or Settings.

Nov 6, 2018 6:28 AM in response to Rahnay

i founded the issue is related with night-shift, true-tone and screen record.

night-shift on + true-tone on: flickering

night-shift off + true-tone on: flickering

night-shift on + true-tone off: flickering

night-shift off + true-tone off: no flickering

if you open the screen record, there's no any issue.

night-shift on + true-tone on + screen record on : no flickering

Screen flicker on iPhone XS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.