Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login Screen very slow (laggy)

After upgrading to OS Mojave , the login screen became too Laggy even the mouse movement ( while choosing between Guest user and My Own user ) , after clicking on a user takes where you write your password that one is fine ,but pressing back to choosing users it becomes the same Laggy.

• apple support told me to reset NVRAM + Boot safe mode and then back to normal but that didn't solve the issue.

• since upload video button is disabled here is a link to the issue - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GnkFM-CAZO2JZt54LT1WBKsdMFVY7Iqd

• MacBook Pro 2018 15'inch Core i7 2.2ghz 16gb Ram 256GB SSD Radeon 555x.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Mojave (10.14), null

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 11:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 10:56 AM

I have the same issue! Mojave login UI sluggish & laggy

Can you confirm you also have FileVault turned on?

If you do too, then the suggestion of booting in Safe Mode is totally irrelevant in my view - this is an issue prior to the OS being loaded, so it shouldn't matter which mode we choose to boot the OS in. Safe Mode merely boots the OS with the minimal set of drivers etc (excluding third party drivers, launch agents/daemons etc) to ensure maximum compatibility while forsaking system specific performance enhancements. It is a troubleshooting step to isolate issues.

However in this case, the HDD is not even mounted/decrypted yet - so there are no user / third party drivers etc even available or loaded that might cause compatibility issues and/or a performance hit.

Feels more like an issue with any new EFI/firmware installed alongside Mojave not handling FileVault enabled systems properly.

I also took a video showing the exact same thing and my rep wasn't even interested in seeing it: "I do not have the means to receive a video".

He actually asked me to call back in a week, confident that the problem will go away.

I disagreed and demanded he call me back in 3 days instead.

What about you? Where are you at with your case?

PS. My system config is almost the same as yours: MBP 2018 15 2.2 16GB 1TB Radeon 555x

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2018 10:56 AM in response to SebMaz93

I have the same issue! Mojave login UI sluggish & laggy

Can you confirm you also have FileVault turned on?

If you do too, then the suggestion of booting in Safe Mode is totally irrelevant in my view - this is an issue prior to the OS being loaded, so it shouldn't matter which mode we choose to boot the OS in. Safe Mode merely boots the OS with the minimal set of drivers etc (excluding third party drivers, launch agents/daemons etc) to ensure maximum compatibility while forsaking system specific performance enhancements. It is a troubleshooting step to isolate issues.

However in this case, the HDD is not even mounted/decrypted yet - so there are no user / third party drivers etc even available or loaded that might cause compatibility issues and/or a performance hit.

Feels more like an issue with any new EFI/firmware installed alongside Mojave not handling FileVault enabled systems properly.

I also took a video showing the exact same thing and my rep wasn't even interested in seeing it: "I do not have the means to receive a video".

He actually asked me to call back in a week, confident that the problem will go away.

I disagreed and demanded he call me back in 3 days instead.

What about you? Where are you at with your case?

PS. My system config is almost the same as yours: MBP 2018 15 2.2 16GB 1TB Radeon 555x

Sep 25, 2018 1:14 PM in response to SebMaz93

Turning FileVault Off + Enabling Auto-Login cannot be the solution!

Not sure if you meant it as an interim solution or if you are happy with this as the permanent solution - you are turning your MacBook from a secure machine that requires your password to even mount and boot to one that is free for anyone to access!

You should continue bugging Apple support until they give us a fix! Don’t give up! Share the url to my post too so they know you are not alone experiencing this bug: Mojave login UI sluggish & laggy

The last issue you mentioned is not ‘normal’ behavior, or at least not what users expect. I’m expericing it too and it‘s not just us: Black screen + Apple logo after entering password

Oct 8, 2018 1:11 PM in response to SebMaz93

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but I had a similar problem with a newer iMac that I was upgrading that I had done upgrades on for at least the past 10 years or so, so there was some cruft in there for sure. I was also experiencing extremely laggy performance once logged in, and the system would not recognize any network adapters or bluetooth devices.

Here's a link to what I did to solve this issue:

Re: Install Problems with Mac OS Mojave

Essentially, the process is to wipe your internal hard drive, do a clean Mojave install, then restore your data using Migration Assistant, but exclude the "More files and folders" from the restore (which excludes anything in the root and subfolders that are not in your User folders).

Obviously, the solution that Quirkz links to is a lot faster and easier, but if that doesn't work for you, then I hope maybe my solution might work for you instead.

Sep 25, 2018 12:53 PM in response to removetxtforward

yes i had filevault turned on ,but now i turned it off, enabled auto login and deleted the guest account so when i turn on the notebook it starts my user right away.

i talked with the support he told me come back when the issue still , i open the support page now and i see 405 Forbidden 😀 can't even enter the page.

i live outside of USA , (Armenia) i choosed USA for support because wasn't available in my location. (bought notebook from USA).

i had some other minor issues or maybe they are like that in normal, like when i write my user password to login, i can see the login background when it reaches half loading progress it turns into black apple screen till it finishes.

and when i shutdown my notebook the dock goes little bit down and freeze for 2-3 sec then screen goes black and turns off.

Sep 25, 2018 3:21 PM in response to removetxtforward

no i didn't mean that it was a solution , i just didn't find a solution and can't contact apple anymore 405 forbidden, so i did like that for now till i find a solution i'm thinking to clean install Mojave (not upgrade like i did from high sierra) maybe solves.

yea i know its not secure to turn off the filevault but i'm the only user of this mac so its okay for me now till i find a solution or update from apple.

yes i will post under your's now.

Oct 25, 2018 9:45 AM in response to haoboz

I'm afraid Apple deleted it 😟? I hope that's not how they fix problems 😟.

BTW I have the same problem, MacBook Pro 13" 2018. I upgraded to Mojave then downgraded because of this and some other issues (I didn't like lack of anti-aliasing on my Full HD external monitor). Unfortunately it looks like the new firmware (or whatever causes it) didn't downgrade so I have the same problem on High Sierra now, too.

Oct 25, 2018 6:25 PM in response to SebMaz93

This is also an issue for me on a brand new 13-inch MacBook Pro 2018 .

Unfortunately the issue is not just cosmetic or an annoyance; it's preventing me from using a Yubikey device for login (using a long, random static password for FileVault as I've done in previous versions of macOS). The Yubikey device simply acts as a USB keyboard in this case, but even with it "typing" the keys in the slowest setting possible, it's too fast for the Mojave login screen (w/ FileVault) to keep up, so characters are missed and it doesn't work.

I'm a fairly security-conscious person, so in my opinion, if a basic USB keyboard/password device can't be used for login simply because the UI is so incredibly unresponsive (I've had to resort to using a shorter, less secure password without the Yubikey in the meantime), then it actually becomes a security issue.

There are complaints on other forums about this exact same issue affecting people with similar USB security devices.

Please, Apple - if any of you come across this - there's no excuse (speaking as a software developer) for a login UI to have the responsiveness of a VNC connection over a 28.8 bps connection when in fact it's running locally on a 2.7 GHz Core i7 processor and 16 gb of RAM, with nothing else running. Graphics acceleration might not be available in an EFI prebooter (or whatever you call it), but this shouldn't need acceleration. It feels like there are some random sleeps thrown in there for debugging or something. Turn off the animations if you need to (I'd 100% rather have a snappy UI than watch 3 discreet animation frames of an attempted fade).

Login Screen very slow (laggy)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.