Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Time data not showing on Family Sharing

I have set up Screen time for my 2 kids (both 13yrs old) and all seems ok but their screen time data does not show at all when viewing their stats on my iPhone/iPad, plus, if I adjust any of the other settings i.e. Downtime, App Limits etc., it does not affect their devices - I had to set up these limits on their devices directly.

I must be doing something wrong, but just can't figure it out. Their iCloud accounts are set up as kids with their age, and all appear under my family sharing. I did log out and back in of my iCloud account on my iPhone to see if it reset, but just managed to duplicate all of my Calendar entries.

Any help would be appreciated.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 3:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2018 2:41 AM

Apple Knows about the issue. See response from them today.

Hello Nick,

I do apologize about the delay in getting back to you, but I have heard back from Engineering regarding our escalation that we had sent up last week.

I wanted to let you know that this is a known issue that Apple and our Engineers are aware of and that we are currently investigating the issue and working on a resolution. It should be fixed in a future software update, hopefully sometime soon. As a workaround, they suggested to check the usage on those other devices directly from the devices.

I will keep an eye on the case and on this issue and let you know as soon as I hear word of any resolution or software updates that may resolve the issue for you. I do apologize about the inconvenience that this may cause.

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2018 2:41 AM in response to ThomasJonesCymru

Apple Knows about the issue. See response from them today.

Hello Nick,

I do apologize about the delay in getting back to you, but I have heard back from Engineering regarding our escalation that we had sent up last week.

I wanted to let you know that this is a known issue that Apple and our Engineers are aware of and that we are currently investigating the issue and working on a resolution. It should be fixed in a future software update, hopefully sometime soon. As a workaround, they suggested to check the usage on those other devices directly from the devices.

I will keep an eye on the case and on this issue and let you know as soon as I hear word of any resolution or software updates that may resolve the issue for you. I do apologize about the inconvenience that this may cause.

Sep 26, 2018 6:25 AM in response to rick-haslemere

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities rick-haslemere,

I see that you're having an issue with viewing the Screen Time data with Family Sharing. This is a great new feature, and I'd be happy to provide you with some information that can help.

Let's have you take a look at the following article, just to be sure everything is set up and ready to go.

Use Screen Time to get insights about how you use your device
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
​Have a great day!

Dec 29, 2018 2:01 PM in response to rick-haslemere

While not a fix by any means I found the suggestion here to work:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8541106

If you have another account set as a guardian account turn it off and see if the screen time accounts start showing up. Did for me. Now given that every other workaround listed here and there in these forums seem to eventually crap out I can't say if this will work for a period of time or not. Hopefully a permanent fix gets put into place on this from Apple.

Oct 9, 2018 7:03 PM in response to raina_b22

Hi, I’m having the same issue as the original poster. No screen time data shows on my device for my children’s devices. According to the help information they are set up correctly. Further, each time I check - even during hours when my sons are not online - the restricted apps list changes and I have to re-add everything again (e.g., only two apps are id’d as Games, but if I re-check Games, all Games show up in the list - until I go out of Settings and then back in again. I am clicking Add each time. All of us are using iOS 12. I’d like the Settings to remain stable and screen time data to be visible on my device. Our family agrees this will really facilitate communication and allow the kids to show they are being responsible screen users.

Oct 18, 2018 6:52 PM in response to rick-haslemere

Still not working for me, either. Hard to have discussions about screen time with your kids without data. Where the screen time report/breakdown is supposed to show, it just says ‘when the device is used’ there will be info. It is being used, daily. Wish Apple would listen and respond more substantively to this issue.

Oct 18, 2018 6:56 PM in response to AJLB

For what it’s worth, I set the screen time limits to cover All Apps and the limit seems to work then (vs. selecting categories, which did not work, or even persist when edited). We don’t just want limits, though, we want to grow conscious behavior round excessive screen use, so the data is a really important piece of that, and it is not showing on my parent login.

Oct 25, 2018 12:24 AM in response to rick-haslemere

Ugh! I thought it must’ve been because of an update, because it was working, and now it doesn’t... but alas, we are all running the latest update now and it isn’t working.

I really want to get this info as it would be super useful for me to use.

I did find though that it worked better for me to go in and put the limitations on the app themselves rather than the categories, and the downtime seems to work too, although there was a slight hiccup with that.. I have to do it on the device itself, when previously I could do it from my phone.

Oct 25, 2018 10:37 AM in response to rick-haslemere

Same for me but I have two kids set up and one Screen Time is working, the other is not. The one child's Screen Time that is not working has no data on their phone either. They are set up the same way so why one works and the other does not given the same Family Sharing settings is a mystery. Love the *idea* of this feature as a parent of teens, waiting on enjoying the reality. Please fix.

Dec 19, 2018 3:55 AM in response to NickCasale

From the 230 pages of documents that I have and read, it’s been much more than just that. It’s dated 9/18 and well it mentions a ton of things to be done/ have been done. It’s not a problem there’s many other issues that are on the table and as they are not just getting pulled. It’s not going to be something

that will be easy nor be a good thing for

many people.! Well you can continue your follow up and I will proceed with I T as o was told by Apple. Cpl. was wanting that very answer, a very easy fix and yet even an easier to see what it is and that 70% of those others things check true and no U

Jan 3, 2019 2:02 PM in response to rick-haslemere

The same happened to me last night and what worked for me was to first by updating to os version 12.1.1. After updating it had not been fixed but after I temporarily turned off the restrictions on my child’s device and restarted both devices, the screen time and stats then appeared on my device. I think the restrictions weren’t letting the data be sent to my iphone. I hope this works for you.

Jan 31, 2019 9:16 PM in response to rick-haslemere

I'm running 12.1.2 on 4 phones and have the same problem. On my phone, the family "Organizer", I have added my wife and 2 kids as family members and enabled the "Screen Time" "Shared Feature". On the 2 child accounts shown under "Screen Time" it doesn't show anything being tracked for usage and the settings I have configured (Downtime, App Limits, Always Allowed, Content&Priv) do not propogate down to their phones.

On their phones I've had to set the Screen Time settings manually and on their local devices I can see the usage and the settings seem to be applying correctly. I would much rather be able to do all this from my phone rather than going to each phone to check usage or change settings.

What is wrong? Are there any official step by step instruction on how to set this up right? Or troubleshooting steps for when its not working?

Original post was over 4 months ago. I came from a Windows 10 Phone that had parental controls for a long time that "just work". I can't believe that Apple, with it's huge user base and tremendous resources, can't get some basic parental controls working already.

PLEASE FIX

Feb 18, 2019 9:40 PM in response to rick-haslemere

I have 2 kids and we are all Family Sharing. This screen time works great for my son (12) and can adjust any setting from my phone BUT my daughter (14) phone nothing happens?. I select her under screen time and it shows no data from her phone, nothing happens a to her phone when I select downtime. Nothing. Can’t figure out why one kids works but the other doesn’t....

Screen Time data not showing on Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.