Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave logging me out right after login

After updating to Mojave on my 2016 i7 iMac I can’t stayed logged in. After logging into any account, within 60 seconds, I am logged out. This happens in regular and safe boot. Tried network reinstall with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Stuck being unable to log in.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13), 27 inch 32GB 3TB Fusion 4GHZ i5

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 5:13 AM

Found the solution on Reddit. See https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/9il78d/permanent_logout_after_upgrade_to _mojave/.

Basically the problem plugin will be listed in the root level /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ directory on the drive in question and you will see files that start with "loginwindow_2018.." Go to the latest one, open it up and look for the plugin that is causing the crash. It will show the directory path to that plugin where you can remove it. Did this and the computer is back running just fine. Seems like a number of 3rd party audio plugins are causing this issue. The URL has complete instructions about how to get to this directory either through being attached via Disk Target mode, or from the terminal in Recovery mode. You can also reach it in Single User mode.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2018 5:13 AM in response to Arthur Busbey

Found the solution on Reddit. See https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/9il78d/permanent_logout_after_upgrade_to _mojave/.

Basically the problem plugin will be listed in the root level /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ directory on the drive in question and you will see files that start with "loginwindow_2018.." Go to the latest one, open it up and look for the plugin that is causing the crash. It will show the directory path to that plugin where you can remove it. Did this and the computer is back running just fine. Seems like a number of 3rd party audio plugins are causing this issue. The URL has complete instructions about how to get to this directory either through being attached via Disk Target mode, or from the terminal in Recovery mode. You can also reach it in Single User mode.

Sep 27, 2018 7:47 AM in response to Arthur Busbey

Clamxav should not harm your system however it is of no value either, therefore it should be removed. Restart in Safe Mode, navigate to the Applications fold, drag Clamxav to the Trash and empty the Trash. Then reset the NVRAM and restart again in Safe Mode and then restart normally and retest.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 26, 2018 8:20 PM in response to Arthur Busbey

Please post an EtreCheck report of your system and we can look for any obvious issues. Please click the link, download and run the app and then post the complete report it produces as your reply to this message.

Log into another user account and see if that works. If it does, the you already know the issue is with your normal user account and not caused by Mojave.

Sep 27, 2018 8:38 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Reinstalled in recovery mode twice now with safe effect. My CCC external hard drive was working fine up until this, and after rebooting machine the external drive had been damaged so that recovery tools aren’t working. I tried to do a recovery from my second source, a time capsule, but when I get to the dialog where I pick the correct sparse image it just sits there and won’t let me continue. So my CCC bootable backup is toast and my TimeMachine backup doesn’t see to be useable.

Sep 27, 2018 3:29 PM in response to MisteriousGaga

It would be similar to:

rm /Users/usman/desktop/test\ picture.jpg

You need to know the file's path before being able to remove it.

Another method is if you have another Mac available, you can connect the 2 Macs together using Target Disk Mode and delete the file that way too. Obviously this requires 2 Macs and the necessary cabling. Reference this article:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/07/how-to-boot-a-mac-in-target-disk-mode/

Sep 28, 2018 9:52 AM in response to rkaufmann87

AT this point I have removed every non-Apple item in LaunchDaemons, LaunchAgents, StartupItems. I did a kext cache wipe. I have removed stuff related to DropBox and Box Sync startup. Still logs out after logging in. I have no audio extensions, nor any of the other extensions I have read about. I have tried to look through system.log to see if the logout is in there but have had no luck whatsoever.

Mojave logging me out right after login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.