Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cover flow missing - Mojave Gallery is no replacement?

Why would Apple replace Cover flow with gallery? They are different

1st - Cover flow was a fast and informative method of scrolling thru visual files quickly as images, while also viewing a list of data below. I could see any data I wanted, dates, sizes, and critical COMMENTS that I make with all my files. As I work I NEED to see that data when scrolling thru images!

2nd - I Prefer the vertical nature of Cover flow because I could open multiple narrow windows, and nest them beside one another. I cannot open multiple windows of Gallery and do the same, inefficient use of screen space and lack of data.

3rd - And worst - Gallery does NOT support mouse scrolling??? due to the horizontal nature of the gallery file list.

Horrible design

PLEASE BRING BACK COVERFLOW !! Add it in addition to Gallery for those of us who depend on it for our work

macOS Mojave (10.14), coverflow gallery

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 7:32 AM

Absolutely infuriating. This seriously impacts my ability to do my job and has crippled my performance. I do MASSIVE data ETL's (extract, transform, load) and after each job, two .csv files are produced with "Successes" and "Errors" and having the cover flow allowed me to keep the list sorted by last modified date to group each "report" that was used with the outputted success and error files and then "preview" what the data was for, and what the errors were. Cover flow made very quick and easy to find what I needed. Now...I gotta either use gallery which, AWESOME it's in alphabetical order, thanks for making that completely unhelpful and useless, or the three column view which groups it alphabetically THEN by last modified, again completely unhelpful and useless. I'm now forced to open multiple files in Sublime Text or OpenOffice to find what I need to be able to effectively do my job.

Give us back cover flow; it's critical for not only my job, but many others that are in a similar job role/function. Look at the list of files I now have to either guess or OPEN unnecessarily until I find the file I need again.

User uploaded file

141 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2018 7:32 AM in response to Buleohara

Absolutely infuriating. This seriously impacts my ability to do my job and has crippled my performance. I do MASSIVE data ETL's (extract, transform, load) and after each job, two .csv files are produced with "Successes" and "Errors" and having the cover flow allowed me to keep the list sorted by last modified date to group each "report" that was used with the outputted success and error files and then "preview" what the data was for, and what the errors were. Cover flow made very quick and easy to find what I needed. Now...I gotta either use gallery which, AWESOME it's in alphabetical order, thanks for making that completely unhelpful and useless, or the three column view which groups it alphabetically THEN by last modified, again completely unhelpful and useless. I'm now forced to open multiple files in Sublime Text or OpenOffice to find what I need to be able to effectively do my job.

Give us back cover flow; it's critical for not only my job, but many others that are in a similar job role/function. Look at the list of files I now have to either guess or OPEN unnecessarily until I find the file I need again.

User uploaded file

Oct 26, 2018 2:45 PM in response to SimSparky

I work with lots and lots of images daily and I've never used Cover Flow actually. I actually forgot it was even there. When I'm working with thousands of new images, sometimes 1000+ a day, I dump them in a folder and hit Command + 1 for icon view and drag the icon size slider to make them big enough then scroll up and down and left right looking for the ones I need.

Then I right click on the ones i need and give them a Tag or drag them to where they need to be. If you right click in the white space of the Finder window you can sort them in several useful ways. It's a bit like using QuickLook with tons of files but more interactive. If I need to see Info about a file I just hit Command + Option + i for a "live" Get Info window.

You need to turn on Icon Preview in the Finder if it's not already on. hit Command + J in the Finder and tick "Show Icon Preview"

Oct 30, 2018 5:32 PM in response to Buleohara

Agreed. Coverflow is a useful tool that I use all of the time. This new feature that replaces it *****, quite frankly. For instance, I first sort the files I'm looking at in the normal text mode and then switch to the new preview mode that replaced coverflow and the files are now in some random(?) order; the file I was hoping to find by date, for instance, is now lost in the mess. So not only is coverflow missing but the replacement *****.

Bring back Coverflow!

Oct 6, 2018 7:46 AM in response to Buleohara

I should also point out... working as a designer in Rhino I generate many ideas. I am unable to change the file name every time I alter a design, so I use a numerical file labeling. I absolutely NEED to see those files visually while scrolling thru them! Attached is a screenshot of adding the preview panel to the right side of a window - which is a horribly inefficient use of screen space and also lacks the ability to scroll quickly.

User uploaded file

Oct 26, 2018 2:52 PM in response to W. Raider

Good point W. Raider!

Folks, when I wrote this posting I thought it was going to be seen by Apple?

Thankfully a couple helpful souls have offered the following solution, which goes directly to Apple.

Please fill it out in detail, be constructive.

I don't see any reason why they would not offer both Coverflow in addition to Gallery view

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Feb 11, 2019 2:32 PM in response to enigma2008

So LISTEN UP APPLE.. PUT THE COVER FLOW BACK and if you do changes, let them be optional. why don't you ask us artists and people who spend more hours on their Macs than anywhere else what we want before your techs do frivolous crap Like the Gallery view..

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. Apple isn't reading here for suggestions. If you want them to know how you feel, use the feedback page:

Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 1, 2018 8:45 AM in response to RogerRaceBannon

I have to say I agree. Coverflow was one of the things I loved most when switching over from PC - I am amazed it is gone as the Gallery view is no replacement (for me).

I have switched to Pathfinder. I have zero vested interest in promoting it, but it is pretty good and DOES have a fully working Cover Flow interface (and a whole lot more)

Oct 2, 2018 10:18 PM in response to Buleohara

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE.

Cover Flow and Gallery View are two vastly different features - Cover Flow is about navigating through data with simple and fast scrolling while being able to see multiple files side by side in a "FLOW", Gallery View is about making modifications quickly AND THUS DOES NOT REPLACE COVER FLOW AT ALL.

Besides, who in the **** scrolls left and right?????

Cover flow missing - Mojave Gallery is no replacement?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.