Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An update required to use cellular data on this iPhone

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 7:21 AM

Please also check

Settings -> General -> About. Go down the page to Operator / Carrier. Click Operator. Do you have the option to update there ? You may update through your Wi-Fi connection, I believe.

Hope this helps.

91 replies

Oct 2, 2018 5:08 AM in response to hamidfromcolorado

I’m having the same issue and spent 1.5 hrs on the phone with Verizon and Apple just for them to tell me they don’t know what else to do and that technical support needs to see my phone but the earliest appti can get is wed. I’ve done everything that others have commented. As far as resetting the network, removing the SIM card and nothing worked. However I did do a hard reset on my phone and it work for about 2hrs and then boom back to no service.

Nov 13, 2018 1:42 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yes i had attempted that but it didn’t give me to option after going thru settings>general>cellular, no update just the “learn more” button which took me to an apple support page saying my “cellular modem”(antenna?) may be damaged. So I took it to the apple store>Genius Bar and left with a new phone(or refurb w/e)...thank goodness for apple care covered every cent of it..I have a 90 day warranty so I hope this works out.

Oct 17, 2018 11:04 AM in response to PDKKILLR

Actually after talking on the phone for hours with both apple and Verizon and doing all there run through o got nothing. No they sent me a replacement phone because they couldn’t fix the issue. While trying to set up the replacement phone i accidentally took the SIM card out the messed up phone while it was on. I got nervous immediately turned it off and put it back it. Once I turned it back on everything worked. Data service everything was all back. But because I already had a replacement phone i sent that one away.

So long story short leave the phone on and remove your SIM card. Turn phone off and place SIM card back in. Give a few minutes and then lmk if it works. If not you will need them to send you a replacement phone phone. No charge

Oct 2, 2018 12:02 AM in response to joannafromhastings

If I click on Carrier, another small window opens and it reads "IMS Status Voice and SMS" whatever it means. So in my iPhone SE, the Carrier is clickable. If an update is required, it should be there, I guess.

My only suggestion at this point is, re-install the iOS 12.

Hope this is helpful.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203078

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ims-status-what-is-it.1854290/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7950858

Nov 13, 2018 6:21 AM in response to jamipc

First, follow these instructions: Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Next, do you have any error messages? Does it say "No Service" at the top of the screen? If it does not say "no service" there is a problem with your carrier's network or your the setup for your account with your carrier.

What model phone do you have? If it says "no service" and it's an iPhone 7 see: iPhone 7 Repair Program for "No Service" Issues - Apple Support

Oct 4, 2018 3:26 PM in response to tarafromthemud

I have also been combating this problem since I updated to the new iOS last week . My phone is a brick unless I have WiFi and even then people with android phones cannot contact me. I have tried all of the solutions posted on the discussion boards and have not found a permanent fix. Occasionally my phone will connect to my carrier but I cannot identify a sequence of actions that caused it to work. Maybe toggling Airplane Mode, Hard Reset etc... regardless it is not a permanent solution and my phone turns back into a brick.

My SIM card works and my carrier is not reporting an issues with nearby cell towers. I called technical support on a friend’s phone (my phone is a paperweight) waited for an hour to talk to a person. After answering a series of tech support questions, they told me they’d call me back; which, they never did. The best I can do now is bring my iPhone 7 Model No. A1660 (known to be defective) in a local apple retailer to be “repaired” this upcoming Tuesday.

Oct 18, 2018 2:09 AM in response to hamidfromcolorado

Update from my first post. ReSetting network settings was only a temporary fix. I can no longer use phone or text.

Notification banner reads: Cellular Update Failed!

“Your iPhone cannot make and receive calls or access cellular data until it has been updated. “

We discussed it with Apple over the phone and hopefully an Apple representative reach out to us today after the engineering team has had a chance to review some the logs from my phone. May I say this is one big pain in the neck! What in the world did we ever do and how did we get by back in the day..!?! LOL

Good luck all,

Nov 12, 2018 10:57 PM in response to hamidfromcolorado

I started having the same issue out of the blue a few days ago. I updated to ios12 as soon as it came out with no issues at first. Once the issue started I updated to ios12.1, I have done hard resets, I have reset network settings, I have done the take the SIM card out trick, my carrier changed my SIM card, I have tried every fix I could find online and I have for service back from a few of them for a few minutes then it gives me the carrier update needed error again and goes back to no service. My phone is like a brick when or on WiFi. I drive a lot so this isn’t ok especially since we have had horrible weather the last few days. Even when on WiFi I can only talk to other Apple users which is hurting me since I use my phone for my business and for community groups I am involved in. I have been apples biggest supporter since day one and as a former cellular retail employee at a big company I have been an advocate and switched hundreds of people to Apple over the years. Well right now I am so upset that I can barely think about it without having fla ea shoot out of my head. Of course I’m out of warranty and to upgrade my bill will jump about $40 a month from where it is at the present time. I’m ****** to say the least.

Nov 30, 2018 8:58 AM in response to hamidfromcolorado

I had the same issue too with iPhone 5s on iOS 12.0.
Tried to reset network settings, change SIM card, hard reset the phone - nope. I also couldn't update to 12.1 from phone settings menu as it gave an error. And the phone did not show its IMEI in settings-main-about.

Then I updated it to 12.1 by cable through iTunes and everyhing works like a charm, and my IMEI and cellular network are back.

Dec 14, 2018 1:57 AM in response to joannafromhastings

This is happening 😫😩😫😩

1) ”error” at Mobile Data. Cannot click

2) “Carrier 34.0” at Setting>General>About

3) blank at Modem Firmware atSetting>General>About

what should i do??

done Reset Network Setting, done remove sim and put in, done airplane trick, done turn off and on

i tried to update to ios 12.1.1 but failed to update. Btw i’m using 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.