Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Bluetooth keyboard does not work-Mojave

Hello.

I have a problem with the Bluetooth keyboard, in the os Mojave. Yesterday she fanged without any problems, and the iMac swing and d imac filling, can not find this keyboard. I followed your instructions, but it does not work. Nor can Bluetooth shutdown shut down.

Can you help me?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 12:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 5:36 PM

Hi ​marcoo81,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having trouble with using your Bluetooth keyboard with your Mac after updating to macOS Mojave. I know it's important to be able to use your accessories with your Mac; I'd like to help. It sounds like you've taken some steps to attempt to re-pair the keyboard, but it's not found and you're unable to turn off Bluetooth. Based on that information I'd suggest that you use these steps to start your Mac in safe mode:

Start up in safe mode

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

In safe mode, test to see if you're able to use these steps to pair your keyboard with your Mac, if needed remove the keyboard and re-pair it:

Remove a Bluetooth device from your Mac

If you want to remove (unpair) a Bluetooth device from your Mac's device list, follow these steps:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth.
  2. Hover the pointer over the device you want to remove, then click the button User uploaded file that appears next to the device's name.

After you remove a Bluetooth device, you'll have to repeat the pairing process if you want to use it again.

Pair your Mac with a Bluetooth device

Bluetooth wireless devices are associated with your computer through a process called pairing. After you pair a device, your Mac automatically connects to it anytime it's in range.

If your Mac came with a wireless keyboard, mouse, or trackpad, they were pre-paired at the factory. Turn on the devices and your Mac should automatically connect to them when your computer starts up.

If you purchased your Apple wireless devices separately, learn how to pair them with your Mac.

After you pair a Bluetooth device with your Mac, you should see it listed in Bluetooth preferences:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Using a Bluetooth mouse, keyboard, or trackpad with your Mac

If you're able to pair your keyboard successfully, restart normally and test your keyboard again.
Should you continue to have trouble, could you give me a few more details about the steps you took prior to your post?

​Best Regards.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2018 5:36 PM in response to marcoo81

Hi ​marcoo81,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having trouble with using your Bluetooth keyboard with your Mac after updating to macOS Mojave. I know it's important to be able to use your accessories with your Mac; I'd like to help. It sounds like you've taken some steps to attempt to re-pair the keyboard, but it's not found and you're unable to turn off Bluetooth. Based on that information I'd suggest that you use these steps to start your Mac in safe mode:

Start up in safe mode

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

In safe mode, test to see if you're able to use these steps to pair your keyboard with your Mac, if needed remove the keyboard and re-pair it:

Remove a Bluetooth device from your Mac

If you want to remove (unpair) a Bluetooth device from your Mac's device list, follow these steps:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth.
  2. Hover the pointer over the device you want to remove, then click the button User uploaded file that appears next to the device's name.

After you remove a Bluetooth device, you'll have to repeat the pairing process if you want to use it again.

Pair your Mac with a Bluetooth device

Bluetooth wireless devices are associated with your computer through a process called pairing. After you pair a device, your Mac automatically connects to it anytime it's in range.

If your Mac came with a wireless keyboard, mouse, or trackpad, they were pre-paired at the factory. Turn on the devices and your Mac should automatically connect to them when your computer starts up.

If you purchased your Apple wireless devices separately, learn how to pair them with your Mac.

After you pair a Bluetooth device with your Mac, you should see it listed in Bluetooth preferences:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Using a Bluetooth mouse, keyboard, or trackpad with your Mac

If you're able to pair your keyboard successfully, restart normally and test your keyboard again.
Should you continue to have trouble, could you give me a few more details about the steps you took prior to your post?

​Best Regards.

Oct 2, 2018 9:05 AM in response to marcoo81

Hi ​marcoo81,

Thank you for taking the time to work through those steps, and for providing additional details. Next, use the steps below to test for this behavior in a new user on your Mac:

Use another account for testing

If another user account is already set up on your Mac, you can simply log out of your account (Apple menu > Log Out) and log in with the other account. But the best way to test is with a newly created account:

1. Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
  2. Click User uploaded file, then enter an administrator name and password.
  3. Click the Add button (+) below the list of users.
  4. Complete the fields shown for a Standard or Administrator account, then click Create Account (or OK).

If you plan to test with any of the documents in your own account, make those documents available to the new account. Drag them to the Shared folder of the Users folder on your hard drive (~/Users/Shared). You can then move them to other folders after you log in as the new user.

Then log out of your account and log in with the new account:

1. Choose Apple menu > Log out.
  2. At the login window, log in with the name and password of the new account. If you're also asked to sign in with an iCloud account or Apple ID, skip that step.

Now try to reproduce the issue in the new account. If you need to set up an email account or other account in order to test, you can do so.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let me know if the behavior with your keyboard and AirDrop persist in a new user and we'll go from there.

Best Regards.

Oct 2, 2018 10:29 AM in response to marcoo81

Hi ​marcoo81,

I appreciate you testing that. The next step I'd suggest would be to run First Aid on your disk using the steps below:
  1. Print this page so you can refer to it later. (You don’t have access to the Disk Utility User Guide when you restart your computer in the next step.)

In the Disk Utility User Guide window, click the Share button User uploaded file, then choose Print.

2. Choose Apple menu User uploaded file > Restart. After your Mac restarts (some Mac computers play a startup sound), press and hold the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears, then release the keys.

3. Click Disk Utility, then click Continue.

4. Choose View > Show All Devices.

5. In the sidebar, select the disk you want to repair.

6. Click the First Aid button User uploaded file.

If Disk Utility tells you the disk is about to fail, back up your data and replace the disk. You can’t repair it. Otherwise, continue to the next step.

7. Click Run.

If Disk Utility reports that the disk appears to be OK or has been repaired, you’re done. You can click Show Details to see more information about the repairs. Otherwise, you may need to do one of the following.

• If Disk Utility reports “overlapped extent allocation” errors, two or more files occupy the same space on your disk, and at least one of them is likely to be corrupted. You need to check each file in the list of affected files. Most of the files in the list have aliases in a DamagedFiles folder at the top level of your disk.

• If you can replace a file or re-create it, delete it.

• If it contains information you need, open it and examine its data to make sure it hasn’t been corrupted.

• If Disk Utility can’t repair your disk or it reports “The underlying task reported failure,” try to repair the disk or partition again. If that doesn’t work, back up as much of your data as possible, reformat the disk, reinstall macOS, then restore your backed-up data.

Repair a disk using Disk Utility on Mac

If you still encounter the issue after running First Aid, I'd recommend that you create a backup: How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac
Then use these steps to reinstall macOS Mojave: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

Let me know what happens.

Best Regards.

Oct 1, 2018 11:14 PM in response to Moozito

Hello.

I have followed your instructions but I do not manage to pair my keyboard. Can not turn off bluetooth.

The keyboard is connected via cable and works. Without a cable, it is simply not possible. Which is quite restrictive.

Not even Airdrop. From my iPhoneX I can not send iMac files to iPhone.

This is all done after updating Mojave.

Some ideas?

Thank you. Mark

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

Nov 12, 2018 6:29 AM in response to marcoo81

Had the same issue with my Hama bluetooth keyboard after upgrading to macOS Mojave on Mac mini. My "Hama KEY2GO X500" used worked fine under macOS High Sierra and all MacOS versions before.

I was able to solve the issue as follows:

In order to be able to log in, I temporarily attached a USB keyboard from a PC to enter login credentials.

Then I removed the Hama keyboard under Preferences -> Keyboard -> Set Up Bluetooth Keyboard ..., and reconnected it again by pressing the connect button on the backside of keyboard, and the entering the 6 digit connection key that is suggested from the setup.

Once reconnected the keyboard worked fine again. The new connection setup is persistent across reboots.

Nov 13, 2018 9:07 PM in response to Moozito

Can’t start up in safe mode because it requires you to press/hold down keys on the keyboard. This whole issue is that the keyboard won’t pair or connect to the computer. So thanks for the response, but that doesn’t solve anything for people who don’t have a plethora of spare, wired keyboards in their closet.

This is quite absurd and unacceptable. How Apple even rolled out such a buggy, unfinished OS is beyond be. Been using Apple products since 2005 and I’ve never had so many problems before. Mojave is the worst.

Nov 20, 2018 10:22 PM in response to rcpulk7

I've been struggling for hours with the same problem - mouse recognised but unable to sign in because keyboard wasn't recognised. I knew it wasn't a keyboard fault because that was recognised and connected on a laptop still running High Sierra.

My breakthrough came when I plugged in a 10 year-old Microsoft USB keyboard enabling me to access my account on the machine with Mojave (a MacPro Late 2013) - but I'm not sure this was really necessary.

In retrospect the problem was due to a failure of the bluetooth link between computer and keyboard eventually restored by going to System Preferences/Bluetooth and removing the Keyboard shown as being not connected; then clicking Advanced and following the Bluetooth Setup Assistant instructions on startup. The keyboard was then recognised as being in existence but it took repeated issues of a code to type in on it before it finally connected with the computer.

So far it has subsequently been automatically recognised and connected after system shutdown and restart.

Can't guarantee this will work for you but its worth trying - you may also find this article - http://osxdaily.com/2016/07/16/enable-bluetooth-without-keyboard-mouse-mac/ - helpful.

The Bluetooth keyboard does not work-Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.