Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts names in group chat are being changed to things like “chat 39572628475”

If I don’t send a message within a group chat for a day or two suddenly instead of having my friend’s name listed as who sent which message, my iPhone is replacing their name with “chat” and then a bunch of random numbers. Once I sent something in the message again and they reverted back to normal, but that’s never happened again. Can’t seem to figure out any rhyme or reason or how to fix it but it’s super annoying.

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 7:51 AM

1 reply

Oct 1, 2018 11:43 AM in response to kristinelauren987

Hi,

I have much older iChat Saved Chats that have idents like that.

It looks like the info should appear with the Time Stamp or at least centralised like the Time Stamp as it obviously does not appear always at the same time.

Try giving the chat a Name.

In the open chat use the Details option top right.

You can name the Chat here.

Example

User uploaded file

This may stop the App from trying to inform you it is a group chat.

It might also do this if that particular person goes Off line.

User uploaded file

7:43 pm Monday; October 1, 2018

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 MacBookPro 15" 2016 (High Sierra 10.13.x)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Contacts names in group chat are being changed to things like “chat 39572628475”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.