Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer issues after installing Mojave

Since installing Mojave I cannot print. I have na Epson ET 3750. When I select print I get the spinning ball - I uninstalled and reinstalled to printer. I cannot even access printer in system settings - when i select it I get the spinning ball again.

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 9:33 PM

104 replies

Oct 6, 2018 10:03 AM in response to kkdude

Try the following:

1. Verify that you have the latest printer driver for your printer that supports macOS Mojave. You may need to download the driver directly from the manufacturer's support site.

Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support

2. Perform a "factory default" reset on the printer.
  3. Reset the Mac's printing system.

Reset the printing system - Apple Support

4. Enable the CUPS printer interface on the Mac.
  5. For network printers, verify if the printer requires the SMB protocol to share its printer queue over a network. If it does, be sure to configure it properly for your network. Note that some older printers do not support the later versions (v2 & v3) of the SMB protocol.

SMB Protocol Support for HP Printing Devices - HP Support

Jan 2, 2019 12:17 PM in response to rkstiens

*Potential fix for HP Printers:*

I had a similar issue with an old (circa 2005) HP printer and a 2015 Macbook Pro:

• After installing Mohave, my printer no longer responded when I sent items to print.
  • When I removed the printer from Printer Settings (System Prefs --> Printers --> clicking the "-" button) and then tried to add it (clicking the "+"), my Mac wasn't finding the printer at all; nothing was appearing in the list of printers.

Here's how I fixed it:

• Download HP printer driver v5.1: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
  • Remove the printer if you haven't already (as described above, using the "-" button in printer settings)
  • If connected via USB, unplug USB cable from Mac and power-off printer, and then reconnect USB and power-on printer (crucial for me - wasn't working until I did this)
  • At this point, the printer reappeared in the list of printers, and I could install it following the standard Mac process (click "+" button, select appropriate drivers etc. Printing works as usual :) !

Good luck!

Oct 7, 2018 6:12 PM in response to rkstiens

I encountered the same issue with 3 different brand printers used in my office. After spending a good deal of time with Apple support I am restoring my Mac back to High Sierra. There are no printer drivers that are compatible with Mojave and the drivers that worked with OS 10.13. There are some printers that have drivers for Mojave, but my HP, Brother and Dell printers are not those models.

Oct 2, 2018 2:58 PM in response to rkstiens

Hey rkstiens,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I can see that you're running into trouble when attempting to print on your Mac after upgrading to macOS Mojave. I'd like to offer some information to help get this working as it should. To start, do you run into the same issues when you attempt to print when your Mac is in safe mode?
Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

This resource offers additional troubleshooting tips to help isolate the cause and potentially resolve this for you. You may want to try these in safe mode if you're unable to perform them when you boot normally. If you can't print from your Mac or iOS device

Let me know how this works for you.

Cheers.

Dec 31, 2018 3:13 PM in response to monkeyljb

There are many posts of "solutions" that do offer limited relief in some situations. But none of the proposed solutions fix the fundamental defects in the Mojave printing system and provide a STABLE solution for all methods of printing (Bonjour, IPP, Windows Spooling) to print to all printers, especially if they or their print spoolers are on different routed subnets other than the local subnet with the user's workstation.

See Apple Bug 46807004: https://bugreport.apple.com/web/?problemID=46807004

Jan 19, 2019 5:28 PM in response to XinWang-01

Thank you. You may want to look at my bug report: https://bugreport.apple.com/web/?problemID=46807004

I added a reference to your comments. I did post a work-around that works for me, fixing a Unix permissions issue in the CUPS configuration and using a general print driver rather than a specific one.

A potential solution may be in the cupsd.conf file. /private/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Adding the statement Allow from All to the <Location /> parameter so that it reads:

<Location />

Order allow,deny

Allow from All

</Location>

and similar additions to the other <Location /admin> and <Location /admin/conf> and <Location /admin/log> fields.

Oct 21, 2018 12:58 AM in response to kkdude

Just an update to my particular situation with the Canon iX6850 printer.
Still not printing black after...

• resetting printing system
  • installing latest software package from Canon
  • experimenting with various ink cartridges
  • and, I went as far as, buying another printer of the same model and experiencing the exact the same issue with it, and then returning it

Colors are printed out okay, the problem persists with printing full black.

Dec 4, 2018 7:35 PM in response to rkstiens

After a few more hours of try, I am now able to install the proper driver rather than the AirPrint driver.

I done the following.

1. Download the latest driver for Mac OS 10.13
  2. Goto Apple\System Preferences\Printer and Scanner
  3. Add Printer
  4. Use\Other...
  5. Look for the driver from the package
  6. \MAC_Installer\MAC_Data\Printer Driver\Group\PrinterData\Common\Model\C48x\Samsung C48x Series.gz

Dec 4, 2018 8:58 PM in response to Prof2034

After a few more hours of try, I am now able to install the proper driver rather than the AirPrint driver.

I done the following.

1. Download the latest driver for Mac OS 10.13
  2. Goto Apple\System Preferences\Printer and Scanner
  3. Add Printer
  4. Use\Other...
  5. Look for the driver from the package
  6. \MAC_Installer\MAC_Data\Printer Driver\Group\PrinterData\Common\Model\C48x\Samsung C48x Series.gz

Dec 27, 2018 3:20 AM in response to Why_Do_I_Need_A_New_Username

rkstiens: While I don't know what Apple is doing to fix this defect in Mojave, here are some solutions.

1. Downgrade to High Sierra to restore your previous functionality.
  2. Call Apple Support. I was surprised how easy it was to get through on a different issue. They were able to easily share my screen and assist me with an issue.
  3. Bypass the printing issue with these steps.

a. Edit the cupsd.conf file as shown above

b. Delete the existing printer and Add it back selecting IP, IPP, and using its IP address. Select Generic Postscript even if it finds the correct software.

This set of steps works for me.

Sorry I don't have anything better.

Dec 31, 2018 5:14 PM in response to Jennbn

Agree. You are correct in your assessment. Nothing we can do can fix this flaw in Mojave. I have been an Apple user since the 1980's. Printing has always been a core capability; IP printing has been a capability since TCP/IP became popular in the 1990's. Mojave broke routed IP printing. While there are some TEMPORARY PARTIAL work-arounds, there can be no solution until Apple fixes the defect. Options are:

1. Roll back to High Sierra
  2. Open a ticket with Apple. Yes they do respond. Even if they can't fix it, it may get their attention.
  3. Do the CUPS edit described above to fix the permissions issue, and select only Generic Postscript drivers, or just be on the same subnet as your printer.

None of these are a good solution. Sorry.

Jan 7, 2019 12:09 AM in response to rkstiens

Double-click the file to begin setup. If you run into the macOS Mojave issue where the setup stops working due to low disk area, restart your Mac as well as press Control + R while it's booting to enter the Recover food selection. Select 'Disk boot' too normally, after that get rid of any documents you no longer demand.

or you can RE-download printer drivers here :

Jan 28, 2019 6:14 AM in response to TexanDan

Found a work-round thanks to Apple Support (btw, I was printing via my USB cable) - this is what I did for Epson XP-800:

• connect printer via WiFi
  • remove the USB cable from back of Mac
  • remove printer from System Preferences>Printers & Faxes (use the little "-" symbol at bottom left hand side to remove)
  • when that screen is blank, right click in the empty screen to "reset printer settings"
  • add printer back in
  • printer will now print via Air Print (ie wirelessly)

The wonderful Apple support person did accept that it is largely an Apple problem but he also helped me to see that Epson have not updated their drivers for this model to work with Mojave.

For the time being (at least!), I will stick with Mojave and try to put pressure on Epson to get them to update to OS 10.14 (currently they only support up to OS 10.13).

Printer issues after installing Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.