Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Mac

I have a POP account and an IMAP account on my Apple Mail. All my emails are okay with all the attachments at the right place. Then, I turned the internet off. Relaunching the apple Mail, I found most of the attachments missing. Is it some kind of corruption? I hope that doesn't affect my Time Machine backup. Or does it?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 13 inch

Posted on Oct 5, 2018 11:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 6:07 AM

Hi Fred,

IMAP accessed email accounts are often downloaded partially. the mails we see in the Apple Mail are often a blend of the mails from the downloaded mail copy and partly from the server. Accessing without internet is the exact status of the emails. Time Machine Backup only backups emails from the local caches of the Apple Mail. thus, you can expect incomplete emails in the backup.

for the same, we can't blame just Apple MAil, as the same is seen with Outlook and Thunderbird. while their is no permanent solution for this so far, Mail Backup X helps it resolve it to a great extent.
The application marks those incomplete emails as "Uncached Data Warning" and has the option to resolve it on its own. on some cases, it guides the user to download the emails forcibly.

later, accessing the exact email from the corresponding mail programs, you can find the emails complete with their attachments and contents.
I would recommend the same. Still, take a free trial before going for the full version:http://www.mailbackupx.com/download.html

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2018 6:07 AM in response to WilsonFred

Hi Fred,

IMAP accessed email accounts are often downloaded partially. the mails we see in the Apple Mail are often a blend of the mails from the downloaded mail copy and partly from the server. Accessing without internet is the exact status of the emails. Time Machine Backup only backups emails from the local caches of the Apple Mail. thus, you can expect incomplete emails in the backup.

for the same, we can't blame just Apple MAil, as the same is seen with Outlook and Thunderbird. while their is no permanent solution for this so far, Mail Backup X helps it resolve it to a great extent.
The application marks those incomplete emails as "Uncached Data Warning" and has the option to resolve it on its own. on some cases, it guides the user to download the emails forcibly.

later, accessing the exact email from the corresponding mail programs, you can find the emails complete with their attachments and contents.
I would recommend the same. Still, take a free trial before going for the full version:http://www.mailbackupx.com/download.html

Oct 9, 2018 6:11 AM in response to Matte_Jones

Thanks Jones.

You said that right. Only my emails from the IMAP account had issues. The application you recommended the exact emails as "Uncached data". The resolve button helped getting me to the point. Now I can find the attachments at the right place even without the internet. Probably, I should resume with this application for mail backups now onwards.

Thanks for your help.

Mail Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.