Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does the dotted grayed out circle in iTunes mean?

After copying ringtones from my Mac to iTunes (Devices -> Tones) every item has a dotted circle in front of the name:

User uploaded file

The files cannot be played nor synced with my device (iPhone X)

Can anyone interpret these indicators?- THX

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 4 TBT3), iOS 12

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 1:58 AM

10 replies

Oct 9, 2018 7:38 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your thoughts -

Unfortunately your link to 3rd party software is obsolete as - after trying out six of them (incl. iFunBox) - the only app which currently can access ringtones on an iPhone X and save them in OSX (iT 12.9) seems to be TouchCopy

Else, your link, in particular the mentioned section does not answer my initial question.

Apple Phone Support will forward the case to the "people in charge" - keep on posting...

Oct 9, 2018 7:44 AM in response to siamless

The idea is to access the raw file system on the device using the 3rd party app. It doesn't need to explicitly support tones, and even it it did it probably wouldn't help with the first part of the problem which is to clean up what is already on the device, so that you can use the intended drag & drop method with iTunes.

The dotted circle typically represents some form of incomplete transfer, e.g. there is a record on the device but no associated file, although I'm inferring this from behaviour rather than an official statement.

tt2

Oct 10, 2018 2:46 AM in response to siamless

The steps apply to any version of iTunes from 12.7 onwards. Did you also delete the .plist file? The issue appears to be somewhat random so it isn't odd that one device has a problem while another does not, even though you manage both with the same library. I first ran into it a year ago with my iPhone 6+ on iOS 11.something and iTunes 12.7.

tt2

What does the dotted grayed out circle in iTunes mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.