Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K and NAS

I have a NAS device on my network with all my music and movies stored on it. I have configured my iTunes to point to this library as my default iTunes library and have the folder visible in Finder as Shared. I can access the movies and music in iTunes but my Apple TV 4K will not connect to the library via home sharing.

The ATV sees the library but it just times out and won’t connect. The NAS and ATV are both hardwired via Ethernet on the network. What am I missing that won’t allow the ATV to connect to the NAS.

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 5:09 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 9, 2018 6:17 AM in response to TFro37

The computer with iTunes needs to be running with iTunes active. The Mac needs to allow incoming network connections, and thus not block those with the software firewall in System Preferences﹥Security & Privacy﹥Firewall﹥(Click the lock to make changes)﹥Firewall Options﹥uncheck ‘Block all incoming connections’; iTunes: Allow incoming connections.

Oct 14, 2018 2:24 PM in response to hoooverman

I am using a Buffalo NAS 520, I can see the library on my Apple TV but get the error message, Could not connect to" User's NAS Library" I can copy files back and forth to my iMac, see all my music and movie on the iMac but the Apple TV runs then times out. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do on this. I've opened needed ports, connect to the NAS with the needed permissions, correctly pointed the iTunes library to the library on the NAS, (hence me seeing everything on the iMac), enabled Home Sharing.

Oct 15, 2018 6:17 AM in response to TFro37

Does the NAS have a user interface you can log in to to change any settings?

I have a Synology NAS and i can log in via a web browser to change settings, or install apps etc. I have an App on there called Media Server within which i can restrict access to the NAS media from devices on the network (such as iPhones, Apple TV's etc.)

I checked the box that says 'Restrict access to Media Server for newly detected UPnP/DLNA devices' meaning anyone that connects to my wifi can't see all my NAS content by default. I have to go in to the device list, find the relevant entry (to the devices MAC address i want to authorise) then enable that device.

If i don't enable the device, the device can see my NAS but gets a message that it can't connect. Could it be something similar on yours?

Apple TV 4K and NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.