Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t reinstall offloaded apps

My iphone offloaded some apps automatically. I managed to turn off the setting for that but whenever I try reinstalling those apps it says “Unable to reinstall ‘App Name’ please try again later”. I’ve tried multiple times to reinstall but the same error message keeps popping up. If it was an app I downloaded from the App Store I would just delete it and reinstall it from there, however the apps that aren’t reinstalling are the Notes, FaceTime and Reminders apps which come pre-installed and can’t be downloaded from the App Store. I’ve also thought it was a storage issue but I have plenty of storage for these apps now so I don’t know what the problem is. I really need these apps!! Could someone help me with this?

Posted on Oct 10, 2018 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 1:38 PM

Hi ivixxie,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. From your post, I see you need to reinstall a few built-in iOS apps.

In later versions of iOS, you can actually uninstall and reinstall some of the built-in iOS apps to help resolve issues like this. You can find the steps you'll need, and a full list of the built-in iOS apps you can reinstall, in the article titled Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 12 or later device or Apple Watch :

Built-in apps you can delete from your device

If you have iOS 12 or later, you can delete1 these apps from your device:

• Activity
  • Apple Books4
  • Calculator
  • Calendar
  • Compass
  • Contacts2
  • FaceTime3
  • Files
  • Find My Friends
  • Home
  • iTunes Store
  • Mail
  • Maps4
  • Measure
  • Music4
  • News (where available)
  • Notes
  • Photo Booth
  • Podcasts4
  • Reminders
  • Stocks
  • Tips
  • TV (where available)
  • Videos
  • Voice Memos
  • Watch app5
  • Weather

User uploaded file

1. With iOS 10, you can remove built-in apps from the Home screen on your device, but you can't delete them. See this articlefor more information on built-in apps in iOS 10.
  2. If you delete the Contacts app, all of your contact information will remain in the Phone app.
  3. If you delete the FaceTime app, you can still make and receive FaceTime calls in Contacts and the Phone app.
  4. If you delete the Apple Books, Maps, Music, or Podcast apps, they won’t be available to use with CarPlay. If you delete the Music app, you'll be unable to play audio content in its library using Apple apps or third-party apps on some car stereos or stereo receivers.
  5. If you try to delete the Watch app from an iPhone that’s paired with an Apple Watch, an alert asks you to unpair your Apple Watch before you can delete the app.

Delete a built-in app from your device

1. On your iOS device, touch and hold the app lightly until it jiggles. If the app doesn't jiggle, make sure that you're not pressing too hard.
  2. Tap on the app, then tap Delete.
  3. Press the Home button to finish.

If you have an Apple Watch, deleting an app from your iPhone also deletes that app from your Apple Watch.

User uploaded file

Restore a built-in app that you deleted

1. On your iOS device, go to the App Store.
  2. Search for the app. Make sure that you use the exact name of the app. Find the correct name of built-in apps.
  3. Tap User uploaded file to restore the app.
  4. Wait for the app to restore, then open it from your Home screen.

If you have an Apple Watch, restoring an app to your iPhone also restores that app to your Apple Watch.

Also, you mentioned Notes is one of the affected apps. If you're not using iCloud to sync your data, it's a good idea to make a backup of your device before you uninstall the Notes app. This will safeguard your data, and here's How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch .

If you are still unable to reinstall the apps, we recommend you to restore your device to factory settings and then restore your backup.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Please let us know if you have additional questions or have more information about the steps suggested.

Kindest regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2018 1:38 PM in response to ivixxie

Hi ivixxie,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. From your post, I see you need to reinstall a few built-in iOS apps.

In later versions of iOS, you can actually uninstall and reinstall some of the built-in iOS apps to help resolve issues like this. You can find the steps you'll need, and a full list of the built-in iOS apps you can reinstall, in the article titled Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 12 or later device or Apple Watch :

Built-in apps you can delete from your device

If you have iOS 12 or later, you can delete1 these apps from your device:

• Activity
  • Apple Books4
  • Calculator
  • Calendar
  • Compass
  • Contacts2
  • FaceTime3
  • Files
  • Find My Friends
  • Home
  • iTunes Store
  • Mail
  • Maps4
  • Measure
  • Music4
  • News (where available)
  • Notes
  • Photo Booth
  • Podcasts4
  • Reminders
  • Stocks
  • Tips
  • TV (where available)
  • Videos
  • Voice Memos
  • Watch app5
  • Weather

User uploaded file

1. With iOS 10, you can remove built-in apps from the Home screen on your device, but you can't delete them. See this articlefor more information on built-in apps in iOS 10.
  2. If you delete the Contacts app, all of your contact information will remain in the Phone app.
  3. If you delete the FaceTime app, you can still make and receive FaceTime calls in Contacts and the Phone app.
  4. If you delete the Apple Books, Maps, Music, or Podcast apps, they won’t be available to use with CarPlay. If you delete the Music app, you'll be unable to play audio content in its library using Apple apps or third-party apps on some car stereos or stereo receivers.
  5. If you try to delete the Watch app from an iPhone that’s paired with an Apple Watch, an alert asks you to unpair your Apple Watch before you can delete the app.

Delete a built-in app from your device

1. On your iOS device, touch and hold the app lightly until it jiggles. If the app doesn't jiggle, make sure that you're not pressing too hard.
  2. Tap on the app, then tap Delete.
  3. Press the Home button to finish.

If you have an Apple Watch, deleting an app from your iPhone also deletes that app from your Apple Watch.

User uploaded file

Restore a built-in app that you deleted

1. On your iOS device, go to the App Store.
  2. Search for the app. Make sure that you use the exact name of the app. Find the correct name of built-in apps.
  3. Tap User uploaded file to restore the app.
  4. Wait for the app to restore, then open it from your Home screen.

If you have an Apple Watch, restoring an app to your iPhone also restores that app to your Apple Watch.

Also, you mentioned Notes is one of the affected apps. If you're not using iCloud to sync your data, it's a good idea to make a backup of your device before you uninstall the Notes app. This will safeguard your data, and here's How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch .

If you are still unable to reinstall the apps, we recommend you to restore your device to factory settings and then restore your backup.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Please let us know if you have additional questions or have more information about the steps suggested.

Kindest regards.

Can’t reinstall offloaded apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.