Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie preview window looks like filtered

I recently had a bit of a debacle trying to install Mojave. After installing it, my system had a ton of issues, so I went back and restored my system to High Sierra. However, after doing so, something changed in iMovie...now the video showing in the preview window appears to have its colors changed, like a filter is being applied or something. When I export the video to a file, the file looks normal viewed in QuickTime or any other app. But the preview window looks wrong. Prior to my trying to install Mojave, everything worked fine.

Any idea of what happened and how to correct it? I've tried deleting and re-installing iMovie, but that didn't help.

My iMac is late 2013 running macOS 10.13.6...

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), null

Posted on Oct 13, 2018 7:14 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Oct 13, 2018 9:04 AM in response to phillam

As an example, here is a frame from a video that I exported from iMovie:

User uploaded file

Here is a screenshot of the same frame as rendered by the iMovie preview window:

User uploaded file

As you can see, the image from the preview window is much darker and more color-saturated. This occurs for any clip I look at in iMovie, and whatever video I export from iMovie looks normal (not darkened)

Oct 13, 2018 7:28 AM in response to phillam

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Sometimes that cures glitches.

You might also try opening iMovie in a new library by holding down only the Option key while opening, and selecting to open a newly created library in the box that appears. Now see if the preview screen looks filtered.

-- Rich

Oct 13, 2018 9:17 AM in response to phillam

Try opening iMovie in a new user account, such as the Guest account on your Mac, or an account that you create. See if the problem persists.

You can use the color correction tool (the one that looks like a palette) to increase the brightness.

You also could try running the first add program from the Disk Utility app found in the Utilities Folder, just to rule out some hardware problem.

Possibly doing another restore of High Sierra might fix it.

Otherwise, this might be something that you can live with, as long as you know that the final product will be O.K. You have tried without success preferences deletion and re-downloading, that usually solve this type of problem. At this point I don't have any more thoughts as to things you can try.

-- Rich

Oct 13, 2018 9:26 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them. Unfortunately, I can't use the color correction tool, because the colors are only wrong in the preview window...when I export the video, the colors are correct...so if I color-correct to make the preview window look correct, the exported video will be wrong.

I can't imagine that it is a hardware problem since all of my videos that I have in Photos or other videos that I view with QuickTime all render correctly. It is only the iMovie preview window that appears wrong.

Oct 13, 2018 11:12 AM in response to phillam

Good point about the color correction. I agree that it probably is not a hardware problem, but what else have you got to try?

There's nothing endemically wrong with Mojave -- it works fine for me and I haven't seen the array of complaints that usually follow immediately after an operating system upgrade. High Sierra has not be known to cause this problem either.

Glitches with iMovie 10.1.9 have been worked out as well, for the most part. So there's nothing wrong with that portion of the software that would be causing this problem, particularly since you already have tried deleting preferences and reinstalling.

As I mentioned, I can't think of any other things that you can try. Fortunately the issue does not affect the final product. You could take your computer into the genius bar at an Apple Store and see if someone with hands on capability can solve it.

-- Rich

Oct 13, 2018 3:01 PM in response to Rich839

Fwiw, when I installed Mojave on this iMac, everything slowed down dramatically (lots of spinning cursor and delayed typing), all of my network drivers disappeared (so no way to connect to Wi-Fi or Ethernet), and none of my USB external drives were recognized. So I will wait til a new release to try again. Fwiw, Mojave installed without any problems on my MacBook Pro...

imovie preview window looks like filtered

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.