Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Shuffle 2nd gen won't turn on, but is recognized by computer

I have an iPod Shuffle 2nd gen that I received as a gift many years ago but never ended up using. It was brand new when I got it, and it just sat in the packaging until recently when I decided to use it. When it's hooked up to my computer, the light flashes orange. It's recognized by iTunes, I was able to rename it and put songs on it. But when I disconnect it from the dock and try to turn it on, nothing happens. The light doesn't turn on, and it doesn't play anything. I know the battery is fully charged because if I plug it into an outlet with an AC adapter, the light is solid green. Is there anything I can do to get this working?

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 11:06 AM

5 replies

Oct 16, 2018 10:08 AM in response to ArmorOfGod7

Hello ArmorOfGod7,

It sounds like your iPod Shuffle is not powering on when it's not connected iTunes on your computer. It's not ideal to not be able to use a device right out of the package, so I'm happy to help you with a solution.

If your iPod was fully charged and powered on, you should see a flash of green light when you power your iPod off and back on without it being plugged in. Since this is not happening, it's possible there may be a hardware issue; however, it's best to rule out software as the culprit first. To do this, try out the steps in If your iPod won't turn on or seems frozen , including the step of restoring your iPod. Restoring will remove all of your music from the device, but it's a great step since it reinstalls the software needed to run it.

Let me know if your iPod still does not power on after following those steps.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

iPod Shuffle 2nd gen won't turn on, but is recognized by computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.