Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After installing Mojave I lost many photos in the photos app. and the computer acts erratic and very slow to start it up. What can I do?

macOS Mojave version 10.14

Processor: 3.4 GHz intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

StartUp Disk Macintosh HD

After installing Mojave I lost almost all the photos in the Photos.app or in the Library

Starting is a problem. I have to activate the Computer by pushing several times the On/Off button.

Many times, during operating activity the computer crashes.

I ran an AVAST full scan not detecting any problems.

Do I need to reinstal Sierra? Will I recuperate my lost photos?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2018 6:56 AM

When you opened Photos for the first time after installing Mojave did you set up a new photos library, is that why you can't see your images. When opening Photos press and hold down the option/ alt key, you should now get a window

where you can select which library the app will use. The photos library is normally in your Pictures folder, you can manually access it by Control-clicking on it and clicking Show Package Contents, you will then see an array of folders that you can navigate through to see if your images are still there.

Anti-virus programmes are not recommended for Macs, there are no viruses that affect the Mac platform. Often the apps just use up resources and therefore impair the performance of the Mac. This can lead to important system files being removed and interferes with system upgrades. If you want to keep ahead of adware/ malware you can install Malwarebytes, there is a free version. Apps that say they clean and optimise your Mac are also more likely to cause problems too and thus not recommend, the Mac does a good job of looking after itself.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2018 6:56 AM in response to armandofromdoral

When you opened Photos for the first time after installing Mojave did you set up a new photos library, is that why you can't see your images. When opening Photos press and hold down the option/ alt key, you should now get a window

where you can select which library the app will use. The photos library is normally in your Pictures folder, you can manually access it by Control-clicking on it and clicking Show Package Contents, you will then see an array of folders that you can navigate through to see if your images are still there.

Anti-virus programmes are not recommended for Macs, there are no viruses that affect the Mac platform. Often the apps just use up resources and therefore impair the performance of the Mac. This can lead to important system files being removed and interferes with system upgrades. If you want to keep ahead of adware/ malware you can install Malwarebytes, there is a free version. Apps that say they clean and optimise your Mac are also more likely to cause problems too and thus not recommend, the Mac does a good job of looking after itself.

Oct 16, 2018 4:56 PM in response to armandofromdoral

Did you make a backup of your Mac before upgrading to Mojave? It is highly recommended you do in case problems like this arise. When you opened the Photos app did it update the photos library this cannot be undone and will make going back to Sierra more problematic as Sierras Photos app will no longer be able to open the photos library, unless you have a back up you can restore.

Was your Mac working well before you upgraded. There are a couple of things you could try.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Oh and uninstall Avast, Macs do not need Anti-Virus apps or apps that clean or optimise your Mac, they can often have the opposite effect. Consult the developer to get full instructions on how to uninstall thoroughly.

Oct 16, 2018 4:55 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thank You for your answer.

Yes, I had a regular backup through time machine. Today, I reinstalled Mojave and it looks that the IMac is working much better, witout crashes and is starting ok.

What I miss from Photos is the material that was stored in the Library. And also when You hitted Photos all the images appeared.

However, besides the images that I had stored in Photos, I had managed to store all the photos in Google Photos.

So, I feel a little bit better.

I will try your recommendations. Due to my scarce knowledge on this matter, I am surprised that You recommend to uninstall Avast.

What would You suggest to install instead?

Thank You very much again

After installing Mojave I lost many photos in the photos app. and the computer acts erratic and very slow to start it up. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.