Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get an old iPod 4th generation to turn on and charge.

My 4th generation iPod classic won’t turn on. I have tried charging it through an IMac and through a wall outlet, I know both the wire and the brick work.

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 5:54 PM

8 replies

Oct 17, 2018 5:13 PM in response to NSW2004

Hi, NSW2004,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. If I understand your post, you have an iPod classic is not turning on. I'm happy to help!

Charging your iPod was a great first step to take. Since that hasn't helped, I'd recommend following the remaining steps outlined in If your iPod won't turn on or seems frozen - Apple Support to force restart your iPod:

iPod classic

Move the Hold switch firmly to the off position, so that you don't see orange by the switch. Then press and hold the Menu and Center (or Select) buttons for 8 seconds, or until you see the Apple logo.

If you still can't get the iPod to power on, try the steps under the "If your iPod turns on but gets stuck during startup" section:

If your iPod still won't respond, gets stuck during startup, or persistently displays an Apple logo or User uploaded file, here's what to do:

1. Make sure that your computer has the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If you have an iPod nano or iPod classic, put your iPod in Disk Mode.
  3. Open iTunes, then connect your iPod directly to your computer.
  4. Find your iPod in iTunes, then select Restore.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Cheers!

Oct 18, 2018 10:20 AM in response to NSW2004

Hi NSW2004! On top of what MoonJ said, I had a similar issue and the culprit was that the USB brick was simply not delivering enough juice and when the iPod tried to power on, It couldn't. If you have one, try a FireWire 32-Pin connector/brick. For me, it turned right on when plugged into FireWire.

Hope it helps!

-Geotrax

How to get an old iPod 4th generation to turn on and charge.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.