Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Recovery is not offering Mojave

My workflow for building new laptops for our users starts with launching into Internet Recovery, erasing the Macintosh HD via Disk Utility, and the installing a clean OS. Typically, when doing this via Internet Recovery, I would be able to install the latest available OS that will work on the HW in question. Currently, that would be Mojave. When I choose the Reinstall macOS option from the Utilities menu in IR, however, High Sierra is what I'm getting.

Is this a timing issue, e.g., is Mojave just being held back from IR currently and will be offered and available at a later date? If not, is there a way to invoke Mojave as the reinstall option?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, 2018 Hardware

Posted on Oct 17, 2018 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2018 6:00 AM

Got in touch with a super smart and helpful support rep in Apple Enterprise Support yesterday who suggested this workaround, after much gnashing of teeth:

Requirements

• New Mac
  • Bootable USB drive containing the latest version of the Mojave installer (8GB or large

Create the bootable USB drive

1. Download the latest version of the macOS Mojave from the App Store
  2. Wipe your USB drive in Disk Utility and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  3. Launch Terminal
  4. Run the following command
    sudo /Path/to/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/FreshlyFormattedUSBDrive
  5. Type Y to start the process. Note: This can take up to 50 minutes to complete depending on the drive.
  6. Once completed, you may have to force eject the drive.

Setting up the new Mac

1. Connect your USB drive to the new Mac via HooToo or other means.
  2. Boot into Recovery mode by holding down CMD-R from a fresh start
  3. Erase/format the drive as APFS
  4. Launch Terminal from the Utilities menu
  5. Run the following commands
    cd /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Mojave/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/
    ./startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/ --agreetolicense --nointeraction

6. The process will start and you'll see something like the following:
    https://i.imgur.com/2gq3f1p.jpg
  7. After it reaches 100%, the Mac will reboot and install Mojave. Your next interaction will be at the regular first start screens.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2018 6:00 AM in response to bfreisinger

Got in touch with a super smart and helpful support rep in Apple Enterprise Support yesterday who suggested this workaround, after much gnashing of teeth:

Requirements

• New Mac
  • Bootable USB drive containing the latest version of the Mojave installer (8GB or large

Create the bootable USB drive

1. Download the latest version of the macOS Mojave from the App Store
  2. Wipe your USB drive in Disk Utility and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  3. Launch Terminal
  4. Run the following command
    sudo /Path/to/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/FreshlyFormattedUSBDrive
  5. Type Y to start the process. Note: This can take up to 50 minutes to complete depending on the drive.
  6. Once completed, you may have to force eject the drive.

Setting up the new Mac

1. Connect your USB drive to the new Mac via HooToo or other means.
  2. Boot into Recovery mode by holding down CMD-R from a fresh start
  3. Erase/format the drive as APFS
  4. Launch Terminal from the Utilities menu
  5. Run the following commands
    cd /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Mojave/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/
    ./startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/ --agreetolicense --nointeraction

6. The process will start and you'll see something like the following:
    https://i.imgur.com/2gq3f1p.jpg
  7. After it reaches 100%, the Mac will reboot and install Mojave. Your next interaction will be at the regular first start screens.

Oct 17, 2018 7:39 AM in response to higherterrain

According to Apple's documentation, Internet Recovery (different from regular recovery mode) will install/upgrade to the latest version of macOS compatible with the hardware.

Vanilla Recovery mode will install the latest version of the OS that had been previously been installed on the device. For instance, if you had macOS 10.13.2 installed on your device and you invoked Recovery mode, it should install macOS 10.13.6, which is the latest version of High Sierra available. Since you're on Mojave already you'll see Mojave in that mode.

My situation is not that situation. 🙂

For reference: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Oct 19, 2018 4:39 PM in response to bfrei-cs

Had a similar problem, I did the Mojave upgrade from High Sierra, had numerous problems and decided to do a HD erase and re-install. For reason(s) unknown, it wanted to reinstall High Sierra. I spoke with 3 different Apple Support Tech's who couldn't understand why it was happening. Then, late last night, while making my umpteenth try, Mojave appeared and installed. I used CMD-OPT-R. Makes no sense to me, but Mojave is working great. I will say it took 5 attempts to complete the Mojave install due to the network being busy.

Internet Recovery is not offering Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.