Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change Safari homepage - High Sierra

Howdy,

Just got a new iMac 21.5 3GHz to replace our mid 2007 20". I've used Migration Assistant to move everything over from the old to the new, but the home page setting didn't come across and it will not let me change it. No matter what I do it reverts back to https://www.apple.com/whatever.

I do not have profiles enabled, and only have one user set up on the computer. That user is the administrative user.

I've tried the trick of entering in the URL for Google, not tabbing out of the field, and clicking a different icon in the top bar, but that doesn't work. Clicking use current page _always_ just puts the Apple URL back in.

This seems to be a pretty common problem that I cannot find a thread which gives a definitive answer.

Any ideas? TIA

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Actually, it's Retina 4K

Posted on Oct 18, 2018 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2018 3:59 PM

Thanks for your note, but I had already seen both of those threads, and neither worked.

What has finally worked is to reboot into Safe mode, change it there, and then it seems to stick.

Thanks again.

2 replies

Cannot change Safari homepage - High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.