Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages App hangs or crashes after Mojave upgrade

I've been all over the forums trying everybody's fix for this, but after upgrading to Mojave yesterday, my Messages app constantly hangs and/or crashes. If I am able to get it to run and stay open, it's constantly drawing on the resources of my Macbook Pro 2015

✅ Restarted into SafeMode and had the same problem

✅ Restarted and reset memory (COM + OPTION + P + R)

✅ Signed out of iMessages account, restarted and signed back in

✅ Changed setting to delete messages older than 1 year

I can't find any other solutions online, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 20, 2018 7:34 AM

74 replies

Apr 8, 2019 1:02 PM in response to Chadburns

April 2019 all updates installed on 2017 iMac 27" and its doing the same thing. Ive done a full reinstallation of the OS with and without restoring from back up to no avail. Apples hardware has been going down hill fast with all the glued in non upgradeable crap and now their software is getting worse too. Apple is really screwing up bad.

Oct 25, 2018 9:11 PM in response to chuck_3rd

It took me a day and a half to successfully backup and reinstall Mac OS. I should have left it at the previous version prior to Mojave because it was working great. I was hopeful that the completely clean installation (without backup restoration) would ensure that messages would work properly, but it doesn't. I continue to have the app hang for 10-15 seconds until it needs to be forced to quit.

On top of that continued issue, now the battery doesn't seem to work/charge. As I'm typing this (with my mac plugged into the power supply) the battery has depleted to 39% in the past hour from about 60%. I've confirmed that there are little or no background activities running that are draining resources (especially now that Messages has been quit completely)

I feel like the issue isn't in the hardware of my computer or the installation, but rather the Mojave OS itself.

User uploaded file

Date/Time: 2018-10-25 23:09:16 -0500

End time: 2018-10-25 23:09:18 -0500

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14 (Build 18A391)

Architecture: x86_64h

Report Version:

Data Source: Stackshots

Shared Cache: 0xf601000 CD6F705B-CC4C-3AEA-9E2A-835850A7A2E9

Command: Messages

Path: /Applications/Messages.app/Contents/MacOS/Messages

Identifier: com.apple.iChat

Version: 12.0 (5500)

Build Version:

Project Name: Messages

Source Version:

Parent: launchd [1]

PID: 752

Event: hang

Duration: 1.90s (process was unresponsive for 12 seconds before sampling)

Steps: 19 (100ms sampling interval)

Hardware model:
MacBookPro11,5

Active cpus: 8

Time Awake Since Boot: 1000s

Fan speed: 4833 rpm

--------------------------------------------------

Timeline format: stacks are sorted chronologically

Use -i and -heavy to re-report with count sorting

Mar 31, 2019 8:43 AM in response to Chadburns

For those of you who still haven't resolved this hanging/crashing issue with the Messages app, even after upgrading to 10.14.4, to hopefully restore Messages to its default settings -- which means that you will lose any current settings and messages -- you might try entering the following three commands in the Terminal app, which you will find at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal:

NOTE: Before you do this, make sure that you shut down the Messages app first. In fact, to make it a little easier, you may also want to delete all current conversations it contains first, and then shut it down.

1. To delete all of the ".plist" files in "~/Library/Preferences" which pertain to Messages, use this command and hit your "return" key:

find ~/Library/Preferences -name "*iChat*" -delete

2. To delete the cache files which pertain to the Messages app, use this command and hit your "return" key:

rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Messages

3. To delete the chat database which pertains to Messages, use this command and hit your "return" key:

rm -rf ~/Library/Messages

To avoid any hiccups, you may also want to log out of your account, and then back in again, or even totally shut down your Mac entirely and start it up cold, before relaunching the Messages app.

Also, you may possibly have to use the above commands a few times before they take hold.

If even this doesn't work, I am wondering if maybe it is some kind of Apple ID issue, and a conflict between different devices you own where Messages is installed. In fact, whatever the problem is, you may have to fix things on different devices. This could even be an iCloud related issue.

If the above info has been helpful, or resolves your issue, please do let me know. Thanks! :)

Oct 21, 2018 11:44 AM in response to Chadburns

Greetings Chadburns,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! I understand you're having trouble using Messages on your MacBook Pro, as you mentioned the application will hang and unexpectedly quit.

You've taken some nice steps to troubleshoot the issue. To further isolate the behavior, I suggest testing Messages with a different user account on your MacBook Pro. You can see how to test the issue with another user account from the following guide: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let me know how it goes from here.

Kind regards.

Oct 23, 2018 5:29 PM in response to Chadburns

Hi Chadburns,

Thanks for following up and confirming the issue remains while using a different user account with your Mac.

From here, I suggest to back up your data with Time Machine, and then reinstall macOS. You can see those steps from the following guides: How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac & How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

Let me know how the provided suggestion works for you.

Cheers.

Oct 22, 2018 3:14 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Ok, I did try this and had the same problem. I created an additional "test" account, signed into iCloud and Messages and kept getting the spinning beach ball.

I've noticed that the problem isn't as intense with iCloud Messaging disabled entirely, but when it is, it renders the app completely useless.

Is there a cache that can be cleared or a way to completely reset/reinstall the app?

Dec 23, 2018 10:28 AM in response to Chadburns

Same problem, although maybe to a lesser extent.

Messages hangs once in a while, usually just after the app has started, and once in a while when I've started to write a message. Short beach ball session, then back to normal. Annoying for sure, but manageable ( for now...).

Did a full clean-install, issue remains and it's still present on the other machine that hasn't had a clean install.

Definitely a bug somewhere in system.

Mac Pro 12-core (clean install)

MacBook Pro Touch Bar 15, 2.9

Jan 13, 2019 6:10 PM in response to Chadburns

problem still happening in 10.14.2.

Flip to the CPU and memory tabs and you'll find Messages is peeling off dynamic memory constantly, seemingly in an infinite loop. Shortly after it breaches ~ 2gB the application crashes. The crash report you send to apple says as much as well.

Frankly, it's utterly unprofessional, and frankly pathetic, not to have this fixed by this time., months after it was reported. This is an application bug, plain and simple. I've been writing system-level software for 30 years;, I know a bug when I see it.

And before some "genius" asks, 10.14.2 virgin-clean install; not an upgrade.

Jan 30, 2019 1:12 AM in response to Chadburns

just wanted to pop in and say I am also having this issue. I reinstalled fresh, but as soon as I got a new text in imessage, the whole thing came crashing down again. This isn't a user/install error, this is just a mojave error. I actually didn't have this issue until after 14.1.

MacBook Pro (15inch, 2018 26 i7, 32GB, Radeon RX560)

10.14.3 (18D42)

Messages App hangs or crashes after Mojave upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.