Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

clipping a song purchased in iTunes

I am running macOS 10.13.6 and itunes 12.8

Until recently I used to be able to purchase a song in itunes and then clip that song to a desired length to play at my son's hockey games on my iphone (playlist) which I connected to a sound system by an aux cord.

Before:

After purchasing and downloading the song, I would then go into song info and change the start/stop time, convert the clip to an ACC version and save it. I would have the orginal song (full length) and a clip (shorter length) - for example "Crazy Train" and "Crazy Train clip". I would then copy the clip to a playlist which I would download onto my iphone.

Now:

When I attempt to do it now, it all works the same up until the point I copy the clip to a playlist. For some reason, the clip on the playlist reverts back to the full song (not the clip). Any idea why this is happening?

Trying to think of what else has changed since this problem started. The only thing I can think of is that I know have a subscription to apple music, although for these clips I am still purchasing and downloading the songs from itunes before I clip them so that I maintain control over the song (as opposed to songs that you download from Apple Music which you lose access to/control over if you end your apple music subscription). Any help is appreciated. Thx.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Oct 20, 2018 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2018 1:45 PM

I'm pretty sure Apple Music is going to be the main issue. Does it make any difference if you convert to MP3 rather than AAC? See About iCloud Music Library icons and status - Apple Support. Any clues from the status column?

tt2

Similar questions

8 replies

Oct 20, 2018 10:29 AM in response to dbstreet

Apple Music will attempt to eliminate duplicates in the library, replacing a newly added track with any original already in the library. I'm somewhat surprised that a clip significantly shorted than the original is replaced in this way. A workaround might be to change the media kind, e.g. to say audiobook, then you ought to be able to transfer the clips to the device and play them from the Books app.

tt2

Oct 21, 2018 5:55 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Thx Jim. Looking under song info --> file, they show as purchased. I think what may be happening is that I have icloud turned on (for some reason) and when the computer looks for the song it reverts back to the downloaded (i.e full length one). I can clip the downloaded song to a shorter length and copy it into a playlist. The time of the song shows the full length but when I play it, it plays the clipped (shorter version). The downside is that I can not have more than 1 version of the song - i.e. the full song and a clipped version or maybe 2 seperate clipped versions of a song like I did before - because it will only revert back to one of the versions. Frustrating.

I wonder if I can turn off icloud on my mac and my iphone and just have the songs locally on my Mac and transfer songs via itunes (like the old days) to my phone?

clipping a song purchased in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.