Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE battery draining fast with iOS12

Hello,

I have a problem with two iPhone SE (mines and the one of my wife). After installing iOS 12 the battery is draining very fast. With iOS 12.0.1 the behaviour did not change.

My iPhone SE is 5 months old and the battery has a capacity of 98%.

I have done a fresh install (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252) of iOS without restoring backup, but the problem persists. I'm not able to get the same battery performance like with iOS 11.4.1.

I am not willing to do something like "Deactivate this or that", "Read how lithium-ion batteries are working", ...

because of the fact, that everything was working fine with 11.4.1 without changing any settings. My conclusion is, that something in iOS12 is causing the battery drain (also on my business iPhone 6s).

Any ideas? Or is the only solution to wait for 12.1 and hoping that it will fix that issue?

iPhone SE, iOS 12.0.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 9:03 AM

stanoman28,

Usually it is a rogue app that mis-behaves with the new version. Do this to identify the app/apps:

See the section "View battery usage information" in the link below to see the apps that are consuming your battery:

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

18 replies

Oct 22, 2018 6:37 AM in response to stanoman28

So over the past week I noticed a huge uptick in the amount of battery power that my iPhone 6s (iOS 12.0.1, new battery installed in December, Battery Health 97%) was using. Like I would lose 10-15% alone just driving my 10 minute commute to work (not even using the phone at all), and sitting around the house doing nothing again would just eat up all the battery in an evening. Tried rebooting with no fix.

Based on the battery usage reports, it looked like News was one of the biggest offenders, and it also listed Background Activity. So I went on a bit of a background activity rampage and turned it off for almost every app except the ones I really thought I would need, like Mail and mapping apps. I know I technically should have tried just the top one (News), but I'm going to be traveling next week and I needed to just figure this out quick.

Attaching 2 screenshots to illustrate. Note that News on the screenshot doesn't show Background Activity because I had turned it off before taking the screenshot, but you can see how on Wednesday things just shot up in terms of consumption.User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Nov 8, 2018 1:35 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

The iPhone is 5 months old and the battery is at 98%. And the batteries of my business iPhone and my wife's iPhone are also suddenly failing? From one hour to the other? And the only change was the update from iOS11 to iOS12.

User uploaded file

I do not understand why some people here in the community are not willing to accept, that something has happened with iOS12. Many many users are complaining and Apple is ignoring that. And yes, I send a feedback to Apple.

Nov 8, 2018 1:56 PM in response to stanoman28

Why don't we accept it? Because there are millions of every iPhone model in use, and if iOS broke any model there would be thousands of posts about it, and it would be in every trade paper and website in the world. For example, a real battery problem 6 years ago:

User uploaded file

That's almost 13 THOUSAND posts and 2.5 MILLION views. And this problem affected only 5% of the 100 million iPhone 4S models in use at the time. So 5 million phones affected and 13,000 posts. And half of the affected users at least viewed the thread. Similar to the number of SEs in use. Do you see 13,000 posts about it?

Nov 8, 2018 2:22 PM in response to stanoman28

I think you are being a little obtuse, probably intentionally. If there is a problem with only a few phones the problem is in the specific phone, not the version of iOS on the phone.

Regarding my 4S thread, the problem was fixed 2 weeks after it was reported.

There is something wrong with your phone, probably caused by the update process rather than what you updated to. Sometimes apps don't take the update process well. Basic troubleshooting for this type of problem:

• Restart the phone (Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support)
  • Go to Settings/Battery and see which apps are using the most energy, and try killing them, then restarting your phone again.
  • Restore your phone from a backup: Restore your iOS device from a backup - Apple Support
  • Restore your phone to factory settings: Restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support and do not restore a backup.
  • If none of these fix it (particularly the last one) your phone has a hardware problem.

BTW, every version of iOS released (about 4 dozen) in the past 11 years has generated threads from people who are convinced that the latest OS version (whatever it was) caused all of their problems, whatever they were. And only 2 actually were related to the update.

Oct 22, 2018 1:22 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

Please post a screen shot of Settings/Battery. iOS 12 does not appear in that display.

You are right, iOS 12 does not appear in that display. Where I am able to see how much ressources the system is consuming? I need a display which shows the system and user ressources (like in macOS) otherwise I am not able to see what is causing the battery drain.

Nov 8, 2018 1:28 PM in response to stanoman28

stanoman28 wrote:

A theory: Maybe the new performance enhancements in iOS12 are causing the battery issues on older iPhones. As far as I know, the CPU timings were changed in iOS12.

Your hypothesis (it's not a theory) is wrong. All of the major trade testing organizations have found that battery life is better under iOS 12 on every platform it runs on.

You have a problem with your phone. Not with any specific version.

Nov 8, 2018 2:05 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Sorry, but this is no answer to my question why I (and many others) do not have had this problem with iOS11.

Regarding your iPhone 4s thread:

iOS 12 is out now for 1,5 months. Let's wait further six months to have a similar time range for complaints like in your example.

Do I understand it right, that if only a few users have a problem, the problem does not exist? Funny 😁

iPhone SE battery draining fast with iOS12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.